SOURCE: LAwS Communications
BOSTON, MA--(Marketwire - Mar 28, 2013) - On March 22-23, law enforcement agencies around the world took to Twitter to participate in a 24-hour Tweet-a-thon in order to highlight the work of officers around the world and show how they are using social media to support policing activities. The results were outstanding, with more than 230 police departments across 10 countries tweeting under the hashtag #poltwt, making it a top 10 trending topic around the globe.
"The tweet-a-thon brought together police officers around the world and helped demonstrate what can be achieved by using social media," said Lauri Stevens, founder of LAwS Communications and organizer of the Global Police Tweet-a-thon. "It was inspiring to see not just police officers taking part, but local people wanting to get involved as well. It was 24 hours that brought the world of policing and law enforcement closer together and helped to develop conversations between officers and the people they serve."
Results of the Global Law Enforcement Tweet-a-Thon were:
- Participation by more than 230 police departments from at least 10 countries
- 48,482 total tweets using the #poltwt hashtag
- 15,621 total Twitter users tweeted with #poltwt
- 18,092 total retweets
- 11,203,796 total Twitter users reached
- 23 different languages used including English, Dutch, Spanish, Swedish, German and Finnish
- Top 10 trending topic in the U.S., United Kingdom, New Zealand and Australia
- #poltwt topics included everything from door-to-door scam alerts, road closures, traffic accidents, missing persons, stolen property and more
Note: Results data provided by BrightPlanet. For more information, please visit http://www.brightplanet.com/2013/03/final-results-of-poltwt-tweet-a-thon/
About LAwS Communications
LAwS Communications has been providing interactive media advice to law enforcement since 2005. Open Source communication technologies available today allow organizations to efficiently gather and distribute information like never before. LAwS Communications works with law enforcement professionals to help make sense of the tools available, help agencies craft a plan and social media policy as well as provide the training needed. LAwS Communications can help law enforcement organizations not only understand why an agency should take advantage of social media technologies, but also how to leverage these vast resources. LAwS Communications is located in Newbury, Massachusetts. It is a subsidiary of Stevens & Associates Inc.
For more information, please visit http://lawscommunications.com.