SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwired - May 29, 2014) - Raising a glass to a good cause has never been easier. One thousand (and counting) bars, restaurants and even ice cream shops from nearly 20 countries, including the U.S., Romania, Australia, Sweden and China, have signed up to participate in Negroni Week. From June 2-8, 2014, Campari® and Imbibe
Magazine present Negroni Week, when a portion of the proceeds from every Negroni sold at participating accounts will be donated to the charity of their choice. In addition, Campari, the legendary one-of-a-kind red spirit, will donate $10,000 to the top fundraising establishment's charity.
In the United States alone, the grass roots initiative will witness an endless selection of Negronis available at top venues across the country as they serve up classics and riffs on the original recipe (1 part Campari, and only Campari, 1 part gin, 1 part sweet vermouth) which dates back to 1919. Accounts and their charities include:
- New York (70+): PDT (City Meals on Wheels), Employees Only (Food Bank for New York City), Gin Palace (Social Tees Animal Rescue) and L'Apicio (Heritage Radio Network)
- San Francisco (40+): 15 Romolo (SF-Marin Food Bank), Bourbon & Branch (Project Night Night), Comstock Saloon (Project Open Hand), Smokestack (SF-Marin Food Bank), Trick Dog (SF-Marin Food Bank) and Tosca Café (SF-Marin Food Bank)
- Chicago (30+): Analogue (Girls Rock! Chicago), Balena (Academy of Global Citizenship), The Drawing Room (un86'd) and The Whistler (826CHI)
- Portland (30+): Clyde Common (The Pixie Project), Kask (Urban Gleaners), Nostrana (Outside In) and Raven + Rose (Oregon Tilth)
- Los Angeles (25+): Harvard + Stone (Earthworks), ink (Inspire Artistic Minds), Rivera (Dolores Mission) and Sassafras Saloon (No-Kill Los Angeles)
The Negroni will also be popping up in unexpected places beyond the cocktail glass throughout Negroni Week, from cookies to pork tacos to popcorn to artwork:
- Humphry Slocombe Ice Cream in San Francisco will sell Negroni Pops and donate $1 of every sale to Project Open Hand
- Bouchon in Beverly Hills will feature a Negroni Macaron and donate $1 from each Macaron to Homeboy Industries
- Butter & Scotch in Brooklyn will serve slices of Negroni Pie at Smorgasburg on Saturday, June 7 and will donate $1 from each slice sold to RED
- Saxon + Parole in New York City will feature a Negroni Week dessert on their menu, donating $1 from each sale to Children of Bellevue
- Perbacco in San Francisco will sell Negroni Popcorn with $1 from each sale going towards Meals on Wheels
- The European and Aveline in San Francisco will feature Negroni Gumdrops and donate $1 from each sale to SFSPCA
- The Varnish in Los Angeles will serve Negroni Jell-O shots and donate $1 from each sale to The Weingart Center for the Homeless
- Imperial in Portland, Oregon, is hosting a Negroni-centric happy hour that will feature Negroni Ice Cream from Salt + Straw along with classic Negronis benefitting the Red Cross
- San Francisco's Tango & Stache will be hosting two taco pop up's during Negroni Week featuring the popular Negroni Pork Belly Taco, to benefit the SF-Marin Food Bank.
- Alyson Thomas of Drywell Art will donate $2 from every Negroni print sold to The Food Pantry in San Francisco
To kick off the week, Campari and Imbibe will hold launch events in New York and San Francisco benefitting local charities, including the San Francisco-Marin Food Bank and City Harvest in New York. San Francisco-based Jupiter Olympus is leading a Negroni Week "Bartenders Against Hunger" Volunteer Day at the Food Bank, as well as joining fellow Northern California Negroni Council members making the rounds all week in red Member's Only jackets to hand out "Negroni Seals of Approval" to local accounts.
To find out where you can enjoy a Negroni among friends, visit the Negroni Week website at www.negroniweek.com. Negroni fans nationwide will be encouraged to spread the word on social media using the hashtag #NegroniWeek.
Negroni Week 2014, held in partnership the U.S. Bartender's Guild (USBG), uses the classic Negroni cocktail as the catalyst to help raise funds for worthy causes. Bars and restaurants interested in participating can still sign up at www.negroniweek.com.
Invented in Florence, Italy, in 1919, the exceptionally easy-to-create and even easier-to-enjoy Negroni is considered an aperitif -- a drink traditionally consumed before a meal to stimulate the appetite. It can be served up in a cocktail glass or on the rocks, and it is always stirred, never shaken. For more information on the Negroni and Campari, visit www.campari.com.
About Negroni Week
In the summer of 2013, Imbibe Magazine launched Negroni Week, a celebration of one of the world's great cocktails and an effort to raise money for charitable causes around the world. Now in its second year, Imbibe has teamed up with Campari to present Negroni Week 2014. From June 2-8, bars across the U.S. (and some around the world) will be mixing Negronis and donating a portion of proceeds from each one sold to a charity of their choice. For more information, including a list of participating bars and upcoming events, visit negroniweek.com and follow the hashtag #negroniweek.
About Campari America
Campari America is a wholly owned subsidiary of Davide Campari-Milano S.p.A. (Reuters CPRI.MI - Bloomberg CPR IM). At the heart of Campari America are two legends in the American spirits industry. The first, Skyy Spirits, was founded in San Francisco back in 1992 by the entrepreneur who invented iconic SKYY Vodka. The second is the world-famous Wild Turkey Distillery in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky, where they have been making the world's finest whiskies since the 1800's. Both companies were purchased by Davide Campari-Milano and together they form Campari America, which has built a portfolio unrivaled in its quality, innovation and style, making it a top choice among distributors, retailers and consumers. Campari America manages Gruppo Campari's portfolio in the US with such leading brands as SKYY® Vodka, SKYY Infusions®, Campari®, Aperol®, Wild Turkey® Straight Kentucky Bourbon, American Honey®, Russell's Reserve®, Glen Grant® Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Cabo Wabo® Tequila, Espolón® Tequila, Appleton® Estate Rum, Wray & Nephew® Rum, Coruba® Rum, Ouzo 12®, X-Rated® Fusion Liqueur®, Frangelico®, Cynar®, Carolans Irish Cream®, Irish Mist® Liqueur, Sagatiba® Cachaça and Jean-Marc XO Vodka®. Campari America is also the exclusive US distributor of Bulldog® Gin, Bowmore® Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Auchentoshan® Lowland Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Glen Garioch® Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky, McClelland's® Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Flor de Caña® Rum, Midori® Melon Liqueur, Hibiki® Whisky, Hakushu® Single Malt Whisky, and The Yamazaki® Single Malt Whisky.
Campari America is headquartered in San Francisco, California. More information on the company can be found at www.campariamerica.com, www.facebook.com/campariamerica, Twitter: @CampariAmerica and www.camparigroup.com. Please enjoy Campari America brands responsibly and in moderation.
About Gruppo Campari
Davide Campari-Milano S.p.A., together with its affiliates ('Gruppo Campari'), is a major player in the global beverage sector, trading in over 190 nations around the world with leading positions in Europe and the Americas. The Group was founded in 1860 and today is the sixth-largest player worldwide
in the premium spirits industry. The Group's portfolio, with over 50 brands, spans spirits, the core business, wines and soft drinks. Internationally-renowned brands include Aperol, Appleton, Campari, Cinzano, SKYY Vodka and Wild Turkey. Headquartered in Sesto San Giovanni, Italy, Campari owns 15 plants and 4 wineries worldwide and has its own distribution network in 17 countries. The Group employs over 4,000 people. The shares of the parent company, Davide Campari-Milano S.p.A. (Reuters CPRI.MI - Bloomberg CPR IM), are listed on the Italian Stock Exchange since 2001. For more information: http://www.camparigroup.com.
Please enjoy our brands responsibly. Media images are available at http://www.camparigroup.com/en/press_media/image_gallery/campari_download.jsp
Imbibe is the ultimate guide to liquid culture. In every issue of the James Beard award-winning magazine and on imbibemagazine.com, you'll find the best drink recipes and everything you need to know about the people, places, flavors and cultures of drinks. Imbibe is a media company encompassing a magazine, website, books, videos, events and charitable initiatives, such as Negroni Week. Follow Imbibe on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram: @imbibe.
The following files are available for download: