CALGARY, ALBERTA--(Marketwired - April 23, 2014) - The Calgary Folk Fest celebrates its 35th anniversary with some of the brightest lights in in contemporary folk, imaginative indie, sophisticated soul and explorative world music July 24 - 27 at Prince's Island Park.
More than 70 artists from 12 countries will perform on seven stages around the island. This year's headliners include Andrew Bird and the Hands of Glory and Hey Rosetta! (Thursday), Rufus Wainwright, Amos Lee and Fishbone (Friday), Bruce Cockburn and Patty Griffin (Saturday) and HYDRA (Feist, Snowblink, AroarA), The Jayhawks and Matt Andersen and the Mellotones (Sunday).
These marquee acts will be joined by a diverse collection of equally talented and engaging artists waiting to be discovered or rediscovered.
- Canadian songwriting royalty Bruce Cockburn, Americana songwriter Mary Gauthier and alt. country vets Grievous Angels share the limelight with the new guard of roots music: Deep Dark Woods, Jill Barber, Mo Kenney and Great Lake Swimmers.
- Juno Award winners A Tribe Called Red, critically acclaimed Montreal group, Yamantaka//Sonic Titan, instigators of NYC's 1980s No Wave scene Arto Lindsay, Czech avant-garde violinist Iva Bittova and adventurous drummer Hamid Drake and multi-instrumentalist Chad Vangaalen push the boundaries of tradition, electronica and indie, while southern California legends Fishbone continue to reinvent their unique hybrid of funk, punk, ska and rock.
- Get your groove on with the Ethio-funk-inspired sounds of Boston's Debo Band, the infectious Afrobeat of Seun Kuti and the old-school soul of Lee Fields & The Expressions and the 'organic moonshine roots' of Valerie June.
- Canadian, American and Australian artists Roger Knox, Martha Redbone, Thelma Plum, Glen Skuthorpe, Leonard Sumner, Eya-Hay Nakoda and Nick Sherman delve deep into aboriginal music and culture.
- Stand-up comedy, improv, urban poets and panel discussions return to the very popular Apache Talk Tent.
Aspiring musicians or those who want to hone their songwriting, singing and guitar skills can participate in the 9th annual Folk Boot Camp @ the National Music Centre (July 22 - 24). This year's songwriting instructors are Mary Gauthier, Old Man Leudecke and Basia Bulat; singers The Good Lovelies will share their secrets, while Kaki King will give tips on how to up your guitar game and James Hill teaches tricks of the ukulele trade.
Each evening, take in concerts on the mainstage, as well as the Twilight Stage Friday and Saturday nights. On Saturday and Sunday from 10:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. and Friday afternoon from 3 p.m. - 6 p.m., our unique collaborations unite artists in exquisite songwriter-in-the-round mash-ups on six day stages.
A limited number early bird passes, plus single-day tickets go on sale at 10:00 am April 24. Call 403-233-0904 or visit calgaryfolkfest.com/tickets. See the full line-up of 75 artists at calgaryfolkfest.com/artists.
2014 Calgary Folk Music Festival artists
A Tribe Called Red • Matt Andersen • Art Bergmann • Andrew Bird & the Hands of Glory • Astral Swans • Jill Barber •Blue Warblers • Boreal Sons • Wakefield Brewster • David Bridie • David Bromberg • Basia Bulat • Kenna Burima • Sam Carter • Bruce Cockburn • Debo Band • Deep Dark Woods • Hamid Drake and Iva Bittova • Dulsori • Eya-Hey Nakota • Lee Fields and the Expressions • Fishbone • Jaron Freeman-Fox • Mary Gauthier • Geomungo Factory • Good Lovelies • Great Lake Swimmers • Grievous Angels • Patty Griffin • Hello Moth • Hey Rosetta! • James Hill • HYDRA (Feist, Snowblink, AroarA) • Jason Isbell • The Jayhawks • Valerie June • Jadea Kelly • Mo Kenney • Kaki King • Roger Knox • Seun Kuti • Amos Lee • Arto Lindsay • Little Miss Higgins & The Winnipeg Five • Lone Bellow • Leyla McCalla • Miss Daisy • Stephanie Nilles • Old Man Luedecke • Doug Paisley • Matt Patershuk • Thelma Plum • The Polyjesters * The Provincial Archive • Rattle and Strum • Martha Redbone • Andrew Searles • Derek Seguin • Noura Mint Seymali • Andy Shauf • Nick Sherman • The Sizeable Men • Glenn Skuthorpe • St. Paul and Broken Bones • Leonard Sumner • Oliver Swain • Tiny Ruins • Trampled by Turtles • Typhoon • Chad VanGaalen • Waco Brothers • Rufus Wainwright • Josh White Jr. • Yamantaka//Sonic Titan • Frank Yamma