Department of National Defence

Department of National Defence
Air Force Public Affairs

Air Force Public Affairs

June 18, 2011 12:00 ET

412 (Transport) Squadron Lays Up Its Retiredcolours

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - June 18, 2011) - 412 (Transport) Squadron laid up its retired colours in a ceremony at Beechwood National Cemetery in Ottawa on June 18, 2011.

His Majesty the late King George VI observed the 25th anniversary of the Royal Air Force by proclaiming that all squadrons upon their 25th year of service would be entitled to be presented squadron colours. In 1958, this honour and privilege was extended to squadrons of the Royal Canadian Air Force. The Honourable W. Earl Rowe, Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario, presented the squadron colours to 412 (T) Sqn in 1964. 412 (T) Sqn became the first Regular Force squadron to celebrate the 25th year of continuous service and thus received its colours.

This consecrated flag, a cherished symbol embodying the history, valour and dedication of 412 (T) Sqn was proudly displayed for more than 42 years before being replaced by the current colours in 2006. 412 (T) Sqn is honoured to be the first Air Force unit to lay up its retired colours in the Hall of Colours at Beechwood National Military Cemetery in Ottawa.

Colours of today's Air Force squadrons are rectangular silk flags, measuring two feet eight inches on the staff and four feet in the fly. They are light blue in colour with a border composed of the floral emblems of the ten provinces of Canada in coloured silks. In the centre is the squadron badge with white scrolls, as required, on which a maximum of eight battle honours of the squadron are inscribed in black.

Contact Information