NEW YORK, NY--(Marketwired - Sep 26, 2013) - The 4A's, the leading trade association representing advertising agencies, has announced its short list for the Jay Chiat Awards for Strategic Excellence. Thirty-six entries have advanced to the next round for consideration, and Ogilvy & Mather leads the pack with six nods across its global agency network.
The Awards recognize strong insights that lead to breakthrough marketing solutions and campaigns, and the 4A's will announce winners on Monday, October 28, at the 4A's Strategy Festival, in Nashville.
In addition to U.S. submissions, this year saw top entries from other countries such as Brazil, Thailand, the United Arab Emirates, and the United Kingdom.
"We are extremely pleased and impressed with the quality of the submissions this year," said Nancy Hill, President-CEO of the 4A's. "It's not a surprise that the Jay Chiat Awards continue to grow in popularity each year. Strategic thinking is integral to the quality of the creative, digital and media plans and the campaign's results."
Categories this year span five areas: Global Strategy, National Strategy, Regional Strategy, Product/Service Creation, Non-Profit.
Short list nominees are as follows:
Global Strategy (recognizes ideas that need to work around the world):
- DAVID The Agency -- The Coca-Cola Company "Let's Go Crazy"
- Ogilvy & Mather, UK -- Dove / Unilever "Camera Shy"
- Ogilvy & Mather, New York -- IBM "A Boy and His Atom"
- Ogilvy & Mather Sao Paulo -- Dove / Unilever "Dove Real Beauty Sketches"
- Ogilvy & Mather West --Qualcomm Snapdragon
- Goodby Silverstein and Partners -- Cisco "Tomorrow Started Here."
National Strategy (recognizes national campaigns):
- 72andSunny--Samsung Telecommunications America "Samsung Galaxy: The Next Big Thing Is Already Here"
- 180LA -- adidas "The Return"
- BrainJuicer -- 3 Mobile "Dance, Pony, Dance: How Innovative Research Transformed Three's Strategy and Execution"
- BBH -- Unilever: Axe "Susan Glenn Campaign"
- CARAT/Wieden+Kennedy/Taylor/DeVries/GMR -- P&G (Procter & Gamble) Medaling In Media: 'P&G Proud Sponsor Of Mom' Olympic Campaign
- Conill -- P&G. Pampers "Bellies in Concert"
- Droga5 -- Prudential "Prudential Challenge Lab: Why Retirement Starts with your Brain"
- Memac Ogilvy & Mather/Universal Media -- The Coca-Cola Company "Sprite Cricket Stars"
- mono -- Target "The Everyday Collection"
- Ogilvy, Mumbai/Jonathan Dothan -- Star India Pvt Ltd "Satyamev Jayate - Managing a billion expectations"
- Saatchi & Saatchi -- P&G Luvs "Luvs: Second Time Moms and the Truth About Parenting"
- TBWA\CHIAT\DAY -- Gatorade "IN > ON"
- Allen & Gerritsen (formerly Neiman) -- Temple University "Temple Made"
- BBH NY/Deep Focus -- Cole Haan "Chelsea Pump Campaign"
- Leo Burnett, Chicago/Starcom -- Allstate "Save11: Putting a Human Face on a Cold Hard Statistic"
- Leo Burnett New York -- Village Voice Newspaper "New York Writes Itself"
- CP+B -- Kraft Macaroni & Cheese "Sabemos que te va a encantar" [We know you're going to love it]
- DDB New York -- New York City Ballet "New York City Ballet Art Series"
- Droga5 -- The New Museum "Recalling 1993"
- Grupo Gallegos -- California Milk Processing Board, Got Milk/Toma Leche "Bedtime Stories"
Non Profit (recognizes work done in support of a social cause or not-for-profit company):
- The Buntin Group -- The Contributer "Homelessness"
- Laughlin Constable -- Lung Cancer Alliance "2012 Lung Cancer Alliance Campaign"
- Lowe Counsel, Lowe & Partners -- Colombian Ministry of Defense's Group of Humanitarian Attention to the Demobilised "A Message of Peace"
- Ogilvy & Mather, Bangkok -- Thai Health Promotion Foundation (THPF) "THPF: Smoking Kid - A Personal Message to the Smokers"
- Ogilvy & Mather Sao Paulo -- Sport Club Recife "Immortal Fans"
- TBWA\Chiat\Day -- Women's Sports Foundation, Gatorade "Keep Her In The Game"
Product/Service Creation (new product ideas, launches and the like):
- Anomaly -- Labatt Breweries of Canada "Red Light"
- JWT, Dubai -- Vodafone Egypt "How to make small seem big, Fakka from Vodafone Egypt"
- The Mom Complex/Breathe Research -- Asda (Walmart's UK Operation) "Leveraging the passion & pain points behind motherhood to drive innovative, new shopping solutions."
- R/GA -- McCormick "FlavorPrint"
For the first time, this year's Gold, Silver and Bronze winners are eligible for "special prizes," recognition which include:
- Best communications/engagement strategy
- Best use of research
- Best use of data/measurement
- Best brief
- Brand progress/reinvention
- Business transformation
In addition, a Grand Prix award will be given to one entry that the executive judging panel deems the best across all categories.
For more information on the Jay Chiat Awards for Strategic Excellence or the 4A's Strategy Festival, or visit http://4asstrategyfestival.com/.
About the Jay Chiat Planning Awards
Previously called the 4A's Awards for Account Planning, the awards were renamed in 2004 in honor of advertising legend Jay Chiat, who is credited with introducing the discipline of planning to the United States. In 2007, a new international category was established to recognize the best contribution of planning for communications that ran in international markets.
The awards are presented each year at the 4A's Account Planning Conference in recognition of planners who have developed strong and innovative insights, and seen their work evolve through creative that affects both the consumer and the business.
The Grand Prix, Gold, Silver and Bronze winners receive an award in the shape of a building block, symbolizing the discipline of planning as it relates to the advertising process. Gold, Silver and Bronze winners each receive a wood statuette; the Grand Prix award is created in stone. Honorable Mentions receive certificates.