Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency

June 18, 2009 16:21 ET

"Canadians Have Rights When It Comes to Their Taxes," Reminds Minister Blackburn

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - June 18, 2009) - The Honourable Jean-Pierre Blackburn, Minister of National Revenue and Minister of State (Agriculture and Agri-Food), reminds taxpayers that recourse options are available to those who do not agree with the assessment that they have received from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

"The Government of Canada is committed to administering the tax system fairly and consistently. When taxpayers disagree with an assessment, they have access to a fair and timely dispute resolution process. This is a vital aspect of safeguarding the trust and confidence of Canadians," stated Minister Blackburn.

Taxpayers can object to most assessments and reassessments by filing an objection, and there are many ways that they can do so-using My Account, by contacting their tax services office, or by contacting the tax centre in their region. It is important to note that it is appeals officers, who were not involved in the original decision, who will conduct the formal and impartial review of their file. If taxpayers are not satisfied with the results of the review process, they can then appeal to the courts. In most cases, taxpayers do not have to pay income tax amounts that are in dispute until the formal review is complete or, if an appeal is filed, until a court decision is rendered. However, note that interest charges apply during any period that an amount in dispute is not paid.

The CRA is working with taxpayers to help them understand and comply with the tax laws. To this effect, CRA representatives are available to answer questions and discuss matters with taxpayers before an objection is filed.

"Unfortunately, many misunderstandings arise from miscommunication or lack of information," said Minister Blackburn. "If a taxpayer disagrees with his or her assessment, I suggest that he or she contact the CRA to discuss the matter, starting with the tax centre that processed the return."

For more information on resolving a dispute with the CRA and on objection and appeal rights, or to get contact information for our tax offices, go to

Contact Information

  • Canada Revenue Agency
    Noel Carisse
    Media Relations
    Office of the Minister of National Revenue
    Natalie Boileau
    Acting Director of Communications