Chateau Dufresne Museum

Chateau Dufresne Museum

April 29, 2010 09:00 ET

Chateau Dufresne Museum: Nincheri Studio Temporarily Open to the Public

MONTREAL, QUEBEC--(Marketwire - April 29, 2010) - The Château Dufresne Museum is pleased to announce that the Nincheri studio will be temporarily open to the public this summer. This is the oldest surviving stained-glass studio in Quebec. Artist Guido Nincheri (1885-1973), originally from Tuscany, opened his studio in 1925, in a building owned by brothers Dufresne. The studio was closed in 1996, but will be open to the public this summer in conjunction with the Montréal, City of Glass event. It is a real jewel of Quebec heritage. Over 5,000 stained-glass pieces, which can be admired today in Canada and United States, were produced here, making the Nincheri studio one of the leading stained-glass studios in Canada. Visitors will be able to examine the many mock-ups and drawings used to create the pieces, the old kiln and a number of stained-glass windows created by studio employees. A guided tour led by Guido Nincheri's grandson, Roger Nincheri, will explain different aspects of the artist's work and the techniques used in making stained glass. The studio, located in the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve neighbourhood, will be open every Sunday afternoon from May 2 to August 29 (except May 30), a perfect complement to the exhibition on Nincheri's secular work now running at the Château Dufresne Museum. Admission to the Museum and the studio is $12. It is strongly recommended that visitors call to reserve, as the number of places is limited.

The Château Dufresne Museum is located at 2929 avenue Jeanne-d'Arc, in Montreal, at the corner of boulevard Pie-IX and rue Sherbrooke Est (Pie-IX metro station), and is open Wednesday to Sunday, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Contact Information