Canadian Blood Services

Canadian Blood Services

November 01, 2007 13:49 ET

Media Advisory: Free Hip-Hop Party at Metrotown Launches National Stem Cell Campaign Aimed at Closing the Ethnic Gap

Be the One, Save a Life - 70% Chance Only a Stranger Can Help

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA--(Marketwire - Nov. 1, 2007) - Media are invited as HipHopCanada and the OneMatch Stem Cell and Marrow Network kick off a nation-wide donor campaign with a free party and concert at Metropolis at Metrotown in Burnaby this Saturday from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM.

The concert marks the beginning of a national awareness week (November 3rd-November 10th) to inspire young Canadians of all ethnic groups to join OneMatch.

The show will feature performances by Vancouver's DJ Flipout, Moka Only, Young Sin, Defenders of the Faith (Checkmate and Concise), Andres, Noble, DJ Craig Rip, Kanabliss, Autokrat ft. Paperchase and B Diamond - plus graffiti artists and b-boy/b-girls.

Details will also be announced about a new self-administered DNA testing program to be piloted in BC, which will make joining the network even easier.

- 114 patients in Metro Vancouver are currently awaiting a match for a stem cell transplant.

- Across Canada, the number is 511 - but only about 250 of them will find a stem cell donor this year.

- Only 30% of people requiring a stem cell transplant can find a match in their family. The other 70% rely on the generosity of strangers.

- For Caucasian patients, the odds of finding a match are about 75%, but for South Asians, Filipinos, Chinese or Blacks, and other ethnic groups, the odds drop to between 10% and 30%.

Inspirational speakers available for a media interview session at the launch include:

- Beverly Campbell - OneMatch Stem Cell and Marrow Network (Director)

- Jesse Plunkett - HipHopCanada (Founder)

- Jurgen and Dianne Schilbach - Recipient Family

- Ryan Chiu - Stem Cell Recipient

- Dr. John Shepherd - Leukemia/Bone Marrow Transplant Program, BC

- Dave Hayer - Parliamentary Secretary for Multiculturalism and Immigration, Province of British Columbia



Date: Saturday, November 3, 2007 (Rain or shine)

Where: Metropolis at Metrotown - SkyTrain entrance

Concert : 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM

Media interview session and
photo op: 1:30 PM

Contact Information

  • Media contact:
    Canadian Blood Services
    Angie Gaddy
    (604) 707-3447 or C: (604) 787-3247
    Email: angie.gaddy@blood.ca