Ontario Federation of Labour

Ontario Federation of Labour
Drive To Work Caravan

Drive To Work Caravan

June 19, 2009 14:36 ET

Media Advisory: Ontario Federation of Labour's Drive To Work Caravan is in London and St. Thomas June 21 & 22, 2009

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - June 19, 2009) - There has been widespread job loss in London says the Ontario Federation of Labour. The crisis that had been confined to Ontario's manufacturing and forestry sectors over the past few years has spread across the entire economy.

The job loss in London has been sharp and widespread. Over the first four months of 2009, there were 16,700 fewer people working than in 2008. From January to April 7,000 jobs have disappeared from manufacturing and another 9,000 jobs are gone from the service sector.

Jobless rates in London are up by 3 percentage points in 2009 over 2008, one in six young workers are unemployed, men's unemployment has risen sharply - 12.4 per cent, up from 7.5 per cent, and the unemployment rate for women rose - 6.8 per cent, up from 6.2 per cent.(i)

The OFL's Drive To Work is a province-wide tour to find out how the recession is really affecting people and communities. Since its launch on June 8th the OFL has talked with thousands of Ontarians and listened to what they have to say on the need to preserve and create good jobs and maintain strong public services for healthy communities. From community to community the Caravan is gathering the stories, letters and messages to bring to Premier Dalton McGuinty. The Drive To Work tour finishes in Toronto on June 25th.

"We're travelling to communities and providing people an opportunity to have their say in what's going on in their lives and what they'd like to see the government do in terms of this recession we face," says OFL President Wayne Samuelson. "From Kenora to Kingston, from Smooth Rock Falls to Smiths Falls, from Wawa to Windsor, people with something to say can speak and be heard."

Communities all across Ontario are reeling from the economic storm that has hit our province, Canada and the world. Thousands and thousands of people have lost their jobs. Cities and towns are on red alert as public services are cut back at a time when people and communities need them most.

"It's time to tell the stories behind the statistics. No one and no community is alone in this struggle."

Upcoming Drive To Work events for London and St. Thomas:



June 21 London 2:00 p.m. Rally at BCTGM Picketline at Kellogg's
(Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers
and Grain Millers)
111 Kellogg Lane/Dundas Street East
London, Ontario

3 - 5:00 p.m. Labour/Community BBQ
Tolpuddle Co-op
380 Adelaide Street North
London, Ontario

June 22 London 10:00 a.m. Rally
London City Hall
300 Dufferin Avenue
London, Ontario

June 22 St. Thomas 12 noon CAW Local 1001/Action Centre
4 Curtis Street
St. Thomas, Ontario

St. Thomas 12:15 p.m. Tour of St. Thomas
(driving by Caring Cupboard Food Bank,
Employment Insurance Office,
Ontario works Office, City Hall,
Liberal MPP Steve Peters office,
Crabby Joe's (closed)
Psalty Pickle Restaurant (closed)
Timken

1:00 p.m. Rally at former Sterling Truck Plant
350 South Edgeware Road
St. Thomas

Job loss cemetery set up.
St. Thomas has lost over 5,000
manufacturing jobs in the last 2 years.


Follow the progress of the DRIVE TO WORK CARAVAN on the DRV2WRK website:

http://www.drivetowork.ca

RSS feeds http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Drv2wrk

twitter posts http://twitter.com/drv2wrk

Blog http://www.drivetowork.ca/blog/

Facebook community www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=84266611429 and

YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/DRV2WRK

(i) January to April

Source: Statistics Canada Labour Force Survey, Special Runs

Contact Information

  • Ontario Federation of Labour
    Wayne Samuelson
    President
    416.571.7408 (mobile)
    or
    OFL Communications
    Dana Boettger
    416.443.7665 (direct) or 1.800.668.9138
    or
    OFL Communications
    Sheila Keenan
    416.443.7665 (direct) or 1.800.668.9138