OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Feb. 7, 2011) - The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, is proud to announce a portion of the 2011 senior Canadian Forces (CF) promotions and appointments. These officers are instrumental in leading the Canadian Forces in the defence of Canada and in the protection of Canadian interests at home and abroad.
"Strong leadership is essential to the success of military activities and these officers are continuing a proud Canadian Forces tradition of standing up for Canada and Canadians," said Minister MacKay. "It goes without saying that the extensive knowledge and skills that these General and Flag Officers possess are essential to the success of Canadian Forces operations and effectiveness."
"These men and women have demonstrated the leadership skills and professional attributes to excel in these appointments," said General Walter Natyncyzk, Chief of the Defence Staff. "I am proud to work alongside them and am confident they will continue the CF's tradition of providing world-class leadership."
The following promotions and appointments for Canadian Forces senior officers will take place in 2011:
- Commodore J.J. Bennett will be promoted to Rear Admiral and appointed Chief Reserves and Cadets at National Defence Headquarters (NDHQ) in Ottawa, replacing Maj.-Gen Tabbernor who will be retiring after 43 years of distinguished service to the CF;
- Brig.-Gen. M.D. Day will be promoted to Maj.-Gen. (acting while so employed) and appointed Deputy Commanding General Army – Combined Security Transition Command/NATO Training Mission HQ in Kabul, Afghanistan;
- Brig.-Gen. H.F. Jaeger was seconded to Veterans Affairs Canada, in Ottawa;
- Brig.-Gen. J.G. Milne will be appointed Director General Reserves and Cadets at NDHQ, in Ottawa;
- Brig.-Gen. D.W. Thompson will be appointed Commander Canadian Special Operations Forces Command at NDHQ, in Ottawa, replacing Brig.-Gen. M.D. Day;
- Brig.-Gen. K.L. Woiden will be appointed Combined Security Transition Command Assistant Commanding General for Afghan national army development in Afghanistan, replacing Brig.-Gen. D.G. Neasmith;
- Acting Brig.-Gen. K.A. Corbould was promoted to Brig.-Gen. and remains as Director Future Plans Regional Command (South) HQ – Joint Task Force in Afghanistan;
- Acting Brig.-Gen. M.R. Dabros was promoted to Brig.-Gen. and remains as Director General Land Staff at NDHQ, in Ottawa;
- Acting Brig.-Gen. J.C.G. Juneau was promoted to Brig.-Gen. and remains as Deputy Commanding 18 AB Corps (U.S. Army) in Fort Bragg, North Carolina, United States of America;
- Acting Brig.-Gen. S.J. Kummel was promoted to Brig.-Gen. and remains as Director General Plans – Strategic Joint Staff at NDHQ, in Ottawa;
- Col. P.J. Bury will be promoted to Brig.-Gen. and appointed Deputy Commander Land Force Western Area in Edmonton, replacing Brig.-Gen. K.L. Woiden;
- Commodore D.W. Craig was promoted to his current rank and appointed Commander Naval Reserve, in Québec City, replacing Commodore J. Bennett;
- Col. J.M. Lanthier will be promoted to Brig.-Gen. (acting while so employed) and appointed Deputy Commanding General (U.S.) I Corps in Fort Lewis, Washington, replacing Brig.-Gen. J.G.E. Tremblay;
- Col. K.D. McQuillan was promoted to Brig.-Gen. (acting while so employed) and appointed Deputy Commanding General for Coalition/Effects with U.S. First Cavalry Divisions Regional Command (East) Afghanistan;
- Col. T.E. Putt will be promoted to Brig.-Gen. and appointed Deputy Commander Land Force Doctrine and Training System, in Kingston, replacing Brig.-Gen. J.G. Milne;
For more information on senior appointments at National Defence, please visit: www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dsa-dns/index-eng.asp.