SOURCE: MyBuys

MyBuys

April 07, 2010 09:00 ET

MyBuys E-Commerce Wellness Index up 6% for March; Health of Retail Industry Averages 3% Improvement for First Quarter

Reliance on Discount Pricing Continues to Drop as Full-Priced Revenue Grows 7%

REDWOOD CITY, CA--(Marketwire - April 7, 2010) -  MyBuys, the leading provider of personalized recommendations for multi-channel retailers, today released the March 2010 edition of the MyBuys E-Commerce Wellness Index™, which measures the overall health of U.S. e-commerce and tracks key trends among retailers. The March Index reports a 3% year-over-year growth in total e-commerce revenue, and shows the overall health of the industry improved 6%. The Index reports that the growth attributed to promoted sales increased by 9% during March, while the shift back to full price items continues as sales of non-promoted items grew by 7%. While the depth of discounting came in at 24% for the month, this is a 2% improvement over the 26% depth of discount in March 2009. The Index average over the previous 90 days remains a positive 3%, indicating steady growth in retail.

"Outside of the holiday hangover we saw in January, Q1 showed positive growth in the retailing community with strong months back to back to close out the period," said Robert Cell, CEO MyBuys. "March saw continued industry wide growth in sales, and more importantly, a welcomed balance across discounted and non-discounted items, with growth rates of 9% and 7%, respectively. As we predicted, this is a continuing trend that shows retailers are ready to connect with their customers on a more personal level and drive growth with innovative merchandising tactics. The MyBuys Index continues to demonstrate that retailers utilizing personalization help increase sales without reliance on discounting. In March, MyBuys clients average order value (AOV) was 35% higher for orders with personalized products in the cart."

Key Stats: March 2010 vs March 2009  
MyBuys E-Commerce Wellness Index ↑ 6%
Total revenue year-over-year ↑ 3%
Total revenues from products sold at list price ↑ 7%
Total revenues from products sold with a discount ↑ 9%
Depth of discounts ↓ 2%
Average Order Value for personalized transactions ↑ 35%

About the MyBuys E-Commerce Wellness Index™

The MyBuys Composite Index aggregates total sales, non-promoted sales, discounted sales performance, depth of discounts, AOV and consumer impulse response from our over 150 MyBuys clients.

Contact Information

  • Media Inquiries:

    Emily Borders
    Borders + Gratehouse
    415.963.4174
    Email Contact