SOURCE: EJL Wireless Research LLC

August 01, 2008 09:05 ET

Q2 Mobile Base Station Contracts Jump Sharply as ZTE Edges Out Huawei

Momentum Remains in Asia Pacific and Africa; Chinese OEMs Secured 100% of CDMA2000 Contracts Globally

REDWOOD CITY, CA--(Marketwire - August 1, 2008) - EJL Wireless Research announces its second quarter 2008 base station contract analysis results. Second quarter base station contracts totaled 67, increasing from 47 in Q1 of 2008.

The base station contract analysis reports are issued on a quarterly and annual basis and provide a unique perspective on the global cellular/PCS base station contract awards and demand for mobile base station equipment covering all major OEMs including Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson, Huawei Technologies, Motorola, Nokia Siemens Networks, Nortel Networks, and ZTE.

"ZTE secured 31% of total contract awards during the June 30, 2008 ended quarter, edging out Huawei which had 30%. Chinese OEMs captured 61% of overall contracts while each major base station vendor secured at least one win during the quarter. Both Motorola and Nortel Networks each managed to secure only one contract in Q2. Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent each won billion dollar contracts from China Mobile during the quarter," says founder and President, Earl Lum.

"Demand remained concentrated in both Asia Pacific and Africa during the quarter. CDMA2000 dipped from the jump in Q1 but Chinese OEMs continue to dominate this segment as they captured 100% of global CDMA contracts in Q2," says Lum.

About EJL Wireless Research

EJL Wireless Research provides proprietary, accurate and cutting-edge market analysis and consulting services on the wireless technology ecosystem. The firm focuses its research on all vertical elements of the wireless ecosystem including mobile subscribers, mobile operators, mobile handsets, mobile infrastructure and mobile content. In addition, the firm provides analysis across horizontal technology suppliers including RF semiconductor materials, RF semiconductor/components, subsystems and OEMs. Our goal is to provide our clients with mission critical market analysis and information.

EJL Wireless Research is managed by Earl Lum. Mr. Lum has 16 years of experience within the wireless industry including 8 years as an Equity Research Analyst on Wall Street covering the global wireless industry. The company is headquartered in Redwood City, CA. For more information about EJL Wireless Research, please visit the company's website at www.ejlwireless.com.

Contact Information

  • Contact:
    Earl Lum
    EJL Wireless Research
    Phone +1 650 430 2221
    Fax +1 650 610 7696
    Email Contact