Subway Special Olympics

May 19, 2006 09:00 ET

SUBWAY'R' Special Olympics Day Raises More Than $303,660 for Special Olympics Canada

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - May 19, 2006) - SUBWAY® restaurants is pleased to announce that the more than 2,100 SUBWAY® restaurants across Canada raised $303,660 for Special Olympics Canada on the second annual SUBWAY® Special Olympics Day on Thursday, May 18, 2006.

On SUBWAY® Special Olympics Day, the SUBWAY® chain donated 10 per cent of all sandwich and Coca-Cola® beverage sales at SUBWAY® restaurants to Special Olympics programs across Canada.

"We're pleased to be able to exceed our expectations in our support for Special Olympics Canada through this successful event, and we are delighted that Canadians from coast to coast joined us in recognizing Special Olympics programs and athletes by supporting the SUBWAY® Special Olympics Day," said Chuck Roy, SUBWAY® Franchisee Advertising Fund Trust (SFAFT) Chainwide Board Representative for Canada. "We would like the thank our 2,100 franchises for uniting so effectively to make this day a resounding success."

The majority (75 per cent) of the funds raised on SUBWAY® Special Olympics Day will be used to further develop Special Olympics Canada's grassroots programs in communities from coast-to-coast, while the remaining 25 per cent will be devoted to Special Olympics Canada's work in staging National Games and preparing Team Canada to represent the country at World Games.

"Special Olympics programs take place every day in almost every community across Canada" said Deborah Bright, President, Special Olympics Canada. "We are grateful to Canadians and corporate partners like SUBWAY® restaurants for their generous support. Funds from SUBWAY® Special Olympics Day will benefit Special Olympics programs and athletes in the communities where the money was raised."

Special Olympics Canada acknowledges the generous support provided for this fundraiser by Barrett Corporation of New Brunswick and Capital Airways of New Brunswick in providing transportation assistance to promote this event and by Delta Hotels in providing hospitality in support of the event.

(c) 2006 Doctor's Associates Inc. SUBWAY® is a registered trademark of Doctor's Associates Inc. Support and Share is a trademark of the SUBWAY® Franchisee Advertising Fund Trust. Printed in Canada.

Contact Information