SOURCE: ZeroTurnaround

ZeroTurnaround

October 21, 2009 12:00 ET

Survey Shows Build Tools Users Losing Nearly a Month Waiting for Turnaround of Incremental Builds

PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC--(Marketwire - October 21, 2009) - Java developers using build tools are losing an average of 3.8 weeks per year due to waiting for the turnaround associated with incremental builds, this according to a survey released today by ZeroTurnaround, a supplier of productivity tools for Java coders.

The survey, conducted over the last three months, drew responses from more than 600 developers representing a wide range of Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) and other build tools, including Eclipse, IntelliJ, Ant, NetBeans and Maven. The results cast a spotlight upon the blocks of time lost in software development to turnaround. This lost time costs developers and software vendors thousands of dollars in lost productivity each year.

"The good news is a large percentage of developers -- 44 percent -- take less than a half-minute to run incremental builds," said ZeroTurnaround CEO David Booth. "But that still leaves 56 percent who are taking much longer; sometimes as long as five minutes or more. On average, the turnaround is taking two minutes for every incremental build and based on the responses these developers are averaging four to five incremental builds per hour."

Booth notes that eight or nine minutes an hour may not seem like much, but they add up and over the course of a year amount to nearly a month's worth of work time -- 152 hours -- spent waiting.

"This is time developers could have been using to add new features, improve code quality, or work on other projects," said Booth.

In addition to results about the average turnaround for incremental builds and what it is costing developers in terms of lost time, Booth also said the survey showed some interesting trends about the build tools themselves.

"Based on the survey, Eclipse is used by 33 percent of respondents -- by far our largest single block -- and it is definitely the fastest IDE with a total turnaround of 2.9 minutes an hour, which corresponds to about 5% of total development time," said Booth. "Eclipse is the only IDE supporting true incremental build-on-save using a fast embedded compiler, so these results are expected. Meanwhile, Ant and Maven are responsible for more than half of the incremental builds, but they take significantly more time than IDE builds -- about eight minutes per hour compared to less than three for Eclipse."

Results of the survey can be found at www.zeroturnaround.com/blog/the-build-tool-report-turnaround-times-using-ant-maven-eclipse-intellij-and-netbeans.

About ZeroTurnaround

Based in Estonia -- the same country that introduced Skype, Kazaa, etc -- ZeroTurnaround builds productivity tools that provide huge results for development teams and their budgets. It's flagship product, JRebel, is a JAR file that's under 1Mb, is easy to setup and use, saves between 2-8 weeks of wasted development time, and costs under $150/year. As the company moves forward, so do its visions of improving quality, consistency, and deliverability in the software industry. Its next vision vision, now in private beta, can be viewed at http://www.zeroturnaround.com/liverebel/.

For additional information about ZeroTurnaround, please visit www.zeroturnaround.com.

Contact Information

  • Media Contact:
    Jonathan Bloom
    Connecting Point Communications for ZeroTurnaround
    (617) 230-7002
    jbloom@cpcomm.com