SOURCE: W. P. Carey & Co. LLC

June 28, 2005 15:00 ET

W. P. Carey Acquires 16 German Facilities for $154 Million

Represents Largest Single European Investment in Company's 32-Year History

NEW YORK, NY -- (MARKET WIRE) -- June 28, 2005 -- Investment firm W. P. Carey & Co. LLC (NYSE: WPC) announced today that it acquired and leased back 16 retail facilities from Hellweg Die Profi-Baumärkte GmbH & Co. KG, one of the leading Do It Yourself retailers in Germany, for approximately $154 million (EUR 126 million). The transaction represents W. P. Carey's largest single European investment completed on behalf of its managed Corporate Property Associates (CPA®) series of income generating real estate funds.

The facilities, totaling approximately 1.3 million square feet, are located throughout Germany in Arnstadt, Borken, Bünde, Dorsten, Duisburg, Freiberg, Gütersloh, Bad Salzungen, Monheim, Oberhausen, Osnabrück, Rodewisch, Schmalkalden, St. Augustin, Stendal and Wuppertal. Hellweg will maintain control of the facilities, which will be under a single triple-net lease, for an initial period of 25 years.

W. P. Carey completed the transaction on behalf of CPA®:16 - Global and CPA®:15, both members of the $7 billion W. P. Carey Group. CPA®:16 - Global owns 25% of the portfolio, while CPA®:15 owns the remaining 75%.

This latest acquisition adds to W. P. Carey's rapidly growing portfolio of managed properties throughout Europe consisting of more than 14 million square feet. Over the trailing 12-month period, The W. P. Carey Group has invested more than $524 million including investments with: Pohjola Non-Life Insurance Company Ltd. ($110 million, Finland); Plantasjen ASA, ($30.8 million, Finland); TietoEnator Plc. ($97.6 million, Finland); the Thales Group SA ($103 million, France); the Polestar Group ($27.8 million, United Kingdom) and the Belgian Government ($16.6 million, Belgium).

Edward V. LaPuma, President and Chief Investment Officer of W. P. Carey International, said, "This transaction represents our largest single investment in Europe and represents the growing trend among European companies who recognize the sale-leaseback as an alternative form of financing. As companies seek to improve their efficiencies many are unlocking the capital tied up in their real estate and redeploying these funds into their core competencies. We are pleased to have completed this transaction with Hellweg and are proud to add these 16 properties to our growing European portfolio."

Reinhold Semer, Chairman of Hellweg Die Profi-Baumärkte GmbH & Co. KG, said, "Our decision to choose W. P. Carey was twofold: the ease and speed in which they converted our real estate into working capital and their track record of serving as long-term partners with the companies they finance."

Jan F. Kärst, Managing Director of W. P. Carey, said, "W. P. Carey has been in business for more than 30 years. Over the years we have learned the importance of relationships and valuing the partnerships we create with the companies we finance. We pride ourselves in our ability to serve the immediate and long-term financing needs of our tenant companies and look forward to our future partnership with Hellweg."


Originally founded 100 years ago as a lumber retailer, Hellweg has served as one of the leading Do It Yourself retailers in Germany for the last 34 years. The Company operates 73 stores across Germany and seven in Austria.


Founded in 1973, W. P. Carey & Co. LLC specializes in helping companies and private equity firms realize the capital tied up in their real estate assets. Whether used for buyouts, add-on acquisitions, recapitalizations or growth, net lease financing provides access to 100% of the real estate's value enabling companies to maintain complete operational control. Acting as principals in transactions from $5 million to $500 million, W. P. Carey and its affiliates have committed approximately $3 billion over the last three years and now manage more than $7 billion in assets.

Individuals interested in receiving future updates on W. P. Carey via e-mail can register at

This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Federal securities laws. A number of factors could cause the company's actual results, performance or achievement to differ materially from those anticipated. Among those risks, trends and uncertainties are the general economic climate; the supply of and demand for office and industrial properties; interest rate levels; the availability of financing; and other risks associated with the acquisition and ownership of properties, including risks that the tenants will not pay rent, or that costs may be greater than anticipated. For further information on factors that could impact the company, reference is made to the company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Contact Information