Ontario's NDP

Ontario's NDP

October 07, 2007 15:51 ET

Will McGuinty Call for Negative Ads to Be Pulled?

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Oct. 7, 2007) - If Dalton McGuinty is outraged by "negative" ads then he should immediately pull his own attack ads off his website, says NDP Campaign co-chair Andrea Horwath.

"Dalton McGuinty's been running a relentlessly negative campaign designed to bury the real issues. From the smear job in last year's by-election to the attack ads his campaign puts on the web, he's been running a negative campaign that avoids the real issues," said Horwath. "He wants it both ways - but working families won't be fooled."

The Ontario Liberal Party has built and maintained two entire websites devoted to negative attacks this campaign. McGuinty says he would never approve an attack ad, but his own websites suggest otherwise.

During last year's by-election in Parkdale-High Park, the McGuinty Liberals launched a series of personal attacks on then-candidate Cheri DiNovo in a desperate attempt to stop an NDP win. The Toronto Star called it a "smear campaign" and the Globe and Mail described it as "one of the province's ugliest" electoral battles in recent memory.

Last spring, Dalton McGuinty launched a deliberate campaign to label NDP Leader Howard Hampton and others as racists for raising questions about the Liberals' year-end slush fund. The Globe and Mail quoted Liberal insiders saying "the gloves are off".

Contact Information

  • Media Inquiries:
    Ontario's NDP
    Richard Overgaard
    (416) 591-8637 ext 268