SOURCE: New Orleans Wine And Food Experience

New Orleans Wine And Food Experience

May 12, 2016 12:45 ET

A-Muse Bouche: Burlesque and Babycakes

The Big Gateaux Show, A NOWFE Original

NEW ORLEANS, LA--(Marketwired - May 12, 2016) - The New Orleans Wine & Food Experience (NOWFE) has announced The Big Gateaux Show, A NOWFE Original, will take place following the NOWFE Grand Tasting on Saturday, May 28th at 9 PM in the Marriott Convention Center Ballroom. This seductive "after-party" is a scintillating burlesque inspired cake competition, celebration and tasting. The 5th annual event will feature competitor pastry chefs Chris Cwierz, Executive Pastry Chef, Sheraton Grand Phoenix; Eka Sonorko, Pastry Sous Chef, Hyatt Regency New Orleans; Irene Widjaya, Assistant Executive Pastry Chef, The Peninsula New York; and Renee Loranger, Executive Pastry Chef, Hollywood Casino Gulf Coast.

Each pastry chef will create over 1000 mini cupcakes, and a grand cake showpiece inspired by Four Muses: Erato, Mepomeme, Ourania, and Polymnia, as portrayed by a tassel-twirling burlesque entertainer -- all paired with a variety of liquid assets sponsored for the evening by Moet-Hennessy, Hendrick's Gin, Barefoot Bubbly, Impatience Rosé, Chocolate Shop Wine, Tito's Vodka, Licor 43, French Truck Coffee, Stella Artois, Evian and Badoit Sparkling Water. Guests will enjoy the "show" in an atmosphere reminiscent of the risqué burlesque clubs.

Hosted by celebrated pastry chef Tariq Hanna of Sucré and the Marriott Convention Center, this ticketed event will feature emcee Bella Blue, Headmistress, The School of Burlesque, and performances by the competition muses, Trixie Minx, Nona Narcisse, Angie Z and Gogo McGregor. DJ Ajay Strong will pick up the beat as each chef, assisted by the region's best baking and pastry students, will display their skills and present their spectacular 5-foot cakes and 'babycakes' for tasting and judging. Each Big Gateaux Show attendee will participate in the "People's Choice Award" to choose the cake creation that tickles their collective fancy. Professional Pastry judges Chef Rob Sobkowski, Corporate Pastry Chef for Swiss Chalet Fine Foods; Vanessa Fiorini, 2014 Winner and Co-Proprietor of Patisserie V. Marie, Toronto; and Melissa Samuels, Owner of Melissa's Fine Pastries, will select the winning cake presentation that wins a $5,000 prize sponsored by Felchlin.

Tickets to The Big Gateaux Show are $75 each and can be purchased through nowfe.com.

For more than 24 years the New Orleans Wine & Food Experience has showcased the culinary excellence in our community alongside national and international wines at wine dinners in many of the city's finest restaurants; at VINOLA, a premium tasting event; at the iconic Royal Street Stroll Presented by Rouses; at dozens of culinary seminars and demonstrations; at the Big Gateaux Show; and ultimately at the Grand Tastings. NOWFE has raised more than $1 million for local non-profit organizations. In 2015, the Southern Food and Beverage Museum was the beneficiary of 40% of the event proceeds. The remaining 60% was shared by the University of New Orleans, School of Hotel, Restaurant & Tourism Program, Louisiana Restaurant Association Education Foundation's ProStart Program, Delgado Culinary Arts School, New Orleans Center for the Creative Arts' Culinary Program, the John Folse Culinary Institute and the Edible Schoolyard New Orleans. 

Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2016/5/12/11G098041/Images/_42T2575-33838f51752f9be7b88b96ca6a828da7.JPG
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2016/5/12/11G098041/Images/_G1_0272C-264fc4796f99b3da80ba1ebee8c1291e.jpg
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2016/5/12/11G098041/Images/_G1_0171-c54933a490eb855192b9c34eed0abfa1.jpg

Contact Information