First Personal Injury

First Personal Injury

July 10, 2012 06:52 ET

Accidents on Holiday

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwire - July 10, 2012) - If you are injured or fall ill whilst on holiday, say for example by slipping on a wet floor in a hotel lobby, tripping on a dangerous pathway in the hotel complex or contracting food poisoning due to eating the hotel food, you may be entitled to compensation. If you have suffered injury that could potentially lead to a compensation claim it's important to seek expert advice on neck injury claims and such like as well as knowing your rights.

The Package Holiday Regulations were created following a European directive and adopted by the UK in 1992 and apply if you have been injured on a package holiday within the European Union. This means that you would claim against the company responsible for your accident in the UK and not in a foreign Court.

The Package Travel Regulations make the holiday company responsible for any negligence of the hotel or staff where you are staying. The holiday company may also be responsible if you become ill due to eating the food from the buffet in the hotel.

As well as claiming for any injury or illness suffered, it is also possible under the Package Travel Regulations to claim compensation for any expenses incurred as a result of the accident or any loss of enjoyment of the holiday.

In order to qualify to make a claim under the Package Travel Regulations your holiday must have been pre-arranged and booked in the UK. You must have booked at least two different components when they were offered for sale or paid one inclusive price for your holiday. The holiday must last for more than 24 hours or include an overnight stay otherwise your claim would not fall under the Package Travel Regulations.

The components of a holiday can include:

  • Transport (Including flights or coach travel);
  • Accommodation;
  • Trips;
  • Sporting activities (including skiing and water sports);
  • Excursions.

You may also be eligible to make a claim for compensation under the Package Travel Regulations if you are injured whilst on a pre-arrange organised trip or excursion purchased as part of your holiday package. Usually you would need to have booked the trip or excursion in the UK at the same time as the holiday and not when you arrived at the resort.

As you are booking your holiday as a package you would usually make any claim for compensation from the Tour Operator, however it may also be possible to make a claim against travel agent who you booked your holiday with.

If it is helpful if you want to make a claim on a no win no fee basis to keep as much documentation as possible to assist in your claim. The documents that may be need are photographs of the accident location, accident reports from the hotel, complaints made to the hotel/holiday representative, booking confirmation, holiday brochures, witness details and medication packaging.

About First Personal Injury

First Personal Injury is a leading firm of specialist personal injury solicitors based in the North West and acting on behalf of Claimants nationwide.

First Personal Injury has a wealth of experience in dealing with personal injury matters and is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. First Personal Injury is a member of the Law Society's Personal Injury Panel and is also a panel member of Headway, the brain injury charity. First Personal Injury is a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL).

Visit their website for further information using such tools as the First Personal Injury compensation calculator.

Contact Information

  • For further information and to
    find out if you can make a claim, please contact
    First Personal Injury free and confidentially on
    0800 014 1629