CALGARY, ALBERTA--(Marketwired - July 20, 2016) - Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Canadian Beef has built a reputation as being some of the tastiest and best quality beef in the world. The Government of Canada is proud to support Canadian ranchers and help them realize the great potential of the Canadian Beef sector.
To that end, Agriculture and Agri-Food Minister Lawrence MacAulay today announced an investment of up to $6.4 Million over three years to help Canadian Beef increase global consumer demand and loyalty for the Canadian Beef brand.
This strategic initiative will support Canadian Beef's three-year market development and promotion plan targeting key regional hubs in Asia, Europe, North America and Latin America. The initiative will enhance consumer trust and appreciation for the value and desirability of Canadian Beef through activities that aim to understand and meet consumer needs.
This investment builds on the significant achievements made by this Government to develop international markets for Canadian beef. Beef export markets have been re-established or expanded in Mexico, Ukraine, South Korea and Taiwan, while the Country of Origin Labelling law was successfully repealed giving Canadian Beef full access to the United States.
By developing Canadian Beef markets abroad, the Government of Canada is meeting its plan to create quality agriculture jobs at home and grow Canada's middle class.
- In 2015, the Canadian beef industry (including veal) exported to 58 countries with a value of $2.2 billion.
- Canada's beef industry contributes $33 billion worth of sales of goods and services either directly or indirectly to the economy.
- This project is funded under the Growing Forward 2, AgriMarketing - Market Development stream which supports the agriculture industry by creating and maintaining access to markets and taking advantage of market opportunities.
- Canada Beef is the cattle producer-funded and run organization responsible for domestic and international beef and veal market development.
"Canadian farmers and ranchers take pride in producing a premium-quality safe beef product. This investment will help strengthen the Canadian beef brand globally, leading to greater returns for our farmers and their families and continued growth in the middle class."
- Lawrence MacAulay, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
"Canada Beef is very pleased to partner with the federal government to drive, enhance and sustain loyalty to Canadian beef with customers from around the world through the Growing Forward 2 initiative. The industry development funding Canadian cattle producers are able to leverage with their own investment is critical to positioning the industry for long term growth and success in these lucrative markets."
- Jack Hextall, Canada Beef Chair
Growing Forward 2 (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
Canada Beef Inc
Follow us on Twitter: @AAFC_Canada
Like us on Facebook: CanadianAgriculture