NEW YORK, NY--(Marketwire - Mar 21, 2013) - AlliedBarton Security Services, the industry's premier provider of highly trained security personnel, and Academy of Critical Incident Analysis (ACIA) will host a free workplace violence prevention conference. The event will take place on Thursday, April 18, 2013, at John Jay College, 524 W. 59th Street, New York, NY, from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. AlliedBarton's President and CEO, Bill Whitmore, and Victor Herbert, Executive Director of ACIA, will kick off the conference.
Conference speakers and topics include:
- Steven M. Crimando, MA, BCETS, CHS-V, Principal, Behavioral Science Applications - Workplace Violence Prevention: Recognition, Response and Recovery
- Liz Roberts, Chief Program Officer, Safe Horizon - When Domestic Violence Intrudes into the Workplace
- Victor Schwartz, MD, Medical Director, The Jed Foundation and Clinical Associate Professor of Psychiatry, NYU School of Medicine - The Impact of Workplace Violence
- James F. McShane, JD, Vice President for Public Safety, Columbia University; Gabrielle Salfati, Ph. D., Director, Investigative Psychology Research Unit, John Jay College of Criminal Justice; and George Anderson, VP of Operations, AlliedBarton Security Services - Protecting the Workplace
- Steve Gorelick, Ph. D., Professor, Hunter College and Laura Agnich, Ph. D., Assistant Professor of Criminal Justice and Criminology, Georgia Southern University - Eyewitness to Workplace Violence: The Oslo Massacre and the Virginia Tech Killings
- Bruce Shapiro, Executive Director, Dart Center for Journalism and Trauma, Columbia University - How to Interact with the Press When Workplace Violence Occurs
- Bradford L. Cole, CFE, Private Investigator and Certified Fraud Examiner - Therapy Dogs at Newtown
"Nearly two million Americans report they've been victims of violence at work," said Whitmore. "All employers have a duty to protect their employees and provide them with a workplace free from hazards likely to cause death or serious physical harm."
"Due to the rise of active shooter events in schools and workplaces in the past decade, workplace violence preparedness is now more important than ever," said Agnich. "While we can't predict when or where the next incident will occur, we can prepare a response in advance that can save lives."
"Episodes of violence on a college campus have a deleterious impact on the campus and community," said Schwartz. "These incidents need to alert us to the importance of identifying people who need help."
"According to the National Institute for Prevention of Workplace Violence, Inc., so far in the 21st century, an average of 552 work-related homicides occurred annually in the United States," said McShane. "It is vital for public and private organizations to come together to help prevent workplace violence."
Media interested in attending this event are encouraged to RSVP to the press contact in this release.
About AlliedBarton Security Services
For more than 50 years AlliedBarton Security Services has provided superior security officer services to protect people, homes and businesses. AlliedBarton tailors security programs to meet clients' needs with committed professionals who enhance clients' brands. The most honored security services provider, AlliedBarton consistently delivers exceptional service which creates a differentiated experience for clients and the people they serve. More than 55,000 employees and 120 offices serve thousands of clients with levels of protection that anticipate needs and build enduring relationships. For more information call 1.866.825.5433 or visit AlliedBarton.com.