PHOENIX, AZ--(Marketwired - August 23, 2016) - Distractions like calls, texts, emails, navigation, radio, food, passengers and traffic make being present while driving more difficult than ever. In fact, Arizona traffic-related deaths jumped 15 percent in 2015, and one in every four accidents involves a smartphone.
That's why Allstate Insurance and CorePower Yoga teamed up to launch the Be Present mindful driving campaign, which aims to end distracted driving. The campaign launches on Aug. 30 with a free yoga class at Hotel Valley Ho to encourage drivers to focus behind the wheel, just in time for the busy Labor Day holiday.
"We drive an average of more than 13,000 miles per year. How many of those miles are we thinking about or doing something else?" said Rebecca Niessink, local Allstate agency owner. "It can be tough to stay focused on the task at hand, and the principles of yoga can help us become more mindful drivers."
Attendees will learn how to weave the wisdom of yoga into their drive and receive giveaways, such as a "Be Present" window cling to display in their car and a yoga mat with "Be Present" emblazoned on the top (while supplies last).
Allstate and CorePower Yoga recommend registering for the event as soon as possible to secure a spot.
There are practical yoga principles that all drivers can use to improve focus and safety and reduce distractions. Weave the wisdom of yoga into your drive with these tips:
- Set an intention: Take a deep breath and create an intention for your drive, such as having a safe ride and peaceful interactions with your fellow motorists.
- Practice mindful driving: Feel the wheel in your hands, the air conditioning, the roadway around you, the sound of the engine and the traffic ahead of you. This is mindful driving-full awareness of what you are doing in that moment. Just drive.
- Eliminate distractions: Driving distractions are everywhere. Music, phone calls, emails, texts, eating, advertisements, pedestrians-all of these pull us away from the task at hand-operating a vehicle. Multitasking while driving can be incredibly dangerous and causes countless crashes each year. Stay present to help ensure you arrive safely at your destination.
- Breathe: Deep breathing helps to keep your awareness grounded in the present moment and mitigate the effects of potential stress in traffic.
- Drive with compassion: Have you ever felt gratitude when another driver allows you to go in front of them, or received a "thank you" wave when you allowed someone to pass you? Embody that compassion to help avoid road rage or potential conflict.
The Allstate Corporation (NYSE: ALL) is the nation's largest publicly held personal lines insurer, protecting approximately 16 million households from life's uncertainties through auto, home, life and other insurance offered through its Allstate, Esurance, Encompass and Answer Financial brand names. Now celebrating its 85th anniversary as an insurer, Allstate is widely known through the slogan "You're In Good Hands With Allstate®." The Allstate brand's network of small businesses offers auto, home, life and retirement products and services to customers in the United States and Canada. In 2015, The Allstate Foundation, Allstate, its employees and agency owners gave $36 million to support local communities. Allstate employees and agency owners donated 230,000 hours of service across the country.
CorePower Yoga strives to increase awareness and widespread adoption of yoga by making yoga accessible to everyone, through a variety of yoga styles for beginners and more advanced yoga students. The company's unique and physically challenging style of heated power yoga combines energy, music, breath, movement and community to create a one-of-a-kind yoga experience. CorePower Yoga classes encompass a wide variety of poses, and are taught by certified yoga instructors. In addition to yoga classes, CorePower Yoga offers transformative integrated wellness programs and Yoga Teacher Training programs to empower students to live a health-focused and extraordinary life. CorePower Yoga is committed to sustainable practices, and uses recyclable and reusable products, selects sustainable fixtures and materials for studios and maintains recycling and waste management programs. CorePower Yoga's climate- controlled environments utilize the latest technology to efficiently heat its yoga rooms. CorePower Yoga was founded in 2002 and has over 150 studios nationwide. For more information, visit www.corepoweryoga.com.
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2016/8/23/11G111455/Images/general_graphic-27662b89ed4f84a4b29444fb9cf05eee.jpg