SAN MATEO, CA--(Marketwire - Oct 18, 2012) - Alpine Data Labs, the leader in predictive analytics for big data, today announced the release of Alpine 2.8, the industry's first predictive analytics application that leverages the full power of Hadoop, enabling enterprises to finally harness the promise of big data. With this advance, Alpine 2.8 users can now perform end-to-end analytics on combined data from Hadoop and relational databases, all from the ease of their web browser and with no additional investment in hardware or infrastructure.
Companies seeking to take advantage of the promises of Hadoop must overcome a number of obstacles. Legacy analytics solutions either don't work with Hadoop or require users to work with samples that must be extracted from the Hadoop file system, keeping Hadoop's promised scalability and agility out of reach. Many companies find it prohibitive to hire staff with the sophisticated statistical and coding development skills Hadoop requires, while still others struggle just to use Hadoop for batch processing, let alone advanced analytics. As a result, the promise of predicted analytics remained largely hype, until now.
Alpine 2.8 brings the power of predictive analytics to Hadoop, yielding powerful insights that weren't available before. By simplifying basic data processing, Alpine makes the important work of exploring and preparing data more iterative. And perhaps just as importantly, Alpine makes it as easy as opening a web browser to use. Besides making predictive analytics more accessible, Alpine increases collaboration, enabling everyone from data engineers to business analysts to share workflows and analyses.
"What's truly exciting about this release is not just that we've figured out how to leverage a framework that until now has remained too difficult to master, but that we're delivering it in a manner that turns a web browser into an analytics playground," said Steven Hillion, chief product officer, Alpine Data Labs. "For enterprises, no matter where your data lies, you can now play in the predictive analytics arena. This will truly change the landscape for enterprises."
The ability to harness, organize and analyze the overwhelming amount of data with which enterprises are now contending will make or break business models going forward. Alpine 2.8 gives users the power of end-to-end analytics without typing a single line of code.
"What Alpine has done for big databases like Greenplum and Netezza, they've now done for Hadoop. They've put big data predictive analytics in the hands of business users, empowering them to uncover competitive insights without the need for specialized statistical and coding skills," said Hugo Evans, Chief Information Officer for A.T. Kearney Procurement & Analytic Solutions. "Not only does Alpine 2.8 close the gap between data and analytics, it empowers the entire enterprise to leverage Hadoop's scalability and agility around unstructured data."
Alpine 2.8 Highlights
- Predictive Analytics and Data Mining on Hadoop
- Provides end-to-end analytics workflows on data from Hadoop. Offers predictive modeling, data transformation, and visualization of Hadoop datasets. Users can generate insights by performing statistical analyses and building scalable models on massive datasets without writing a line of code, using an intuitive interface.
- A Data Agnostic Approach to Analytics
- Draw upon data from multiple sources, including HDFS and MPP databases. Explore tables and files without complex and time-consuming data movement, infer structure automatically, and combine data from multiple sources. Use a single workbench and a common set of scalable operators that apply equally to Hadoop and relational data.
- Expanded Web-Based Functionality
- The web-based functionality greatly expands the product capabilities to offer full modeling and workflow creation capabilities with an improved look and feel. It simplifies workflow editing, provides full data browsing and visualization capabilities, and provides an accessible framework for the entire team to collaborate on advanced analytics.
- Broadest Database Support
- Alpine 2.8 supports databases Greenplum, Oracle 11g, Oracle Exadata, Netezza, DB2, and PostgreSQL. The Hadoop supported platforms are Apache Hadoop 0.20.2+, Greenplum GPHD 1.0+, and Cloudera CDH3.
Alpine 2.8 is available now and supported on all major web browsers. A trial version can be downloaded at http://www.alpinedatalabs.com. Alpine Data Labs will be at the O'Reilly Strata Conference + Hadoop World on Thurs., Oct. 25 at 5:00 p.m., to discuss a new paradigm in predictive analytics that addresses the need for a scalable, powerful solution -- one that is purpose built for big data, yet easy to use. During the session, predictive analytics will be demonstrated on the world's largest public Hadoop cluster.
About Alpine Data Labs
Alpine Data Labs is the leader in predictive analytics for big data. The company's products uniquely combine intuitive interfaces, native analytic processing in Hadoop, high performance in-database analytics, and the efficiencies of cloud computing to define the new paradigm in predictive analytics: accessible, easy to use, and built for big data. Alpine's solutions enable data experts and novices alike to work across organizational barriers and collaboratively realize the predictive power of big data analytics. For more information visit www.alpinedatalabs.com.