ARLINGTON, VA--(Marketwired - October 17, 2016) - Getting a jump start on the holidays - a time of year that is always especially difficult on service members and their families -- Amazon Prime Video and the USO hosted an advance screening of "Bookaboo's Howl-o-ween" at Naval Base San Diego Oct. 7. In addition to premiering an episode from Season 1 of the new Amazon Original Kids Series "Bookaboo," the duo treated attendees to a book reading of Turkey Trick or Treat by actor Guillermo Díaz.
The event took place just one week after the USO launched Force Behind the Forces -- a brand awareness campaign encouraging Americans to stand behind "The Force," as a community of supporters committed to connecting service members to the things they hold dear. Amazon and Díaz are among the first of a long list of supporters who have pledged to demonstrate their appreciation of those who selflessly serve our nation. Season 1 of Bookaboo will premiere October 28 exclusively on Amazon Prime Video. ***Link to USO photo below. ***
- Just moments after the screening of "Bookaboo's Howl-o-ween," an animated episode featuring actors Selma Blair and Guillermo Díaz, Amazon Prime Video and the USO treated military families with an appearance by Díaz. The actor warmly greeted attendees before leading an interactive, energetic reading of his favorite book, "Turkey Trick or Treat" written by Wendi Silvano and illustrated by Lee Harper. When he was through, Díaz met with military families one-on-one, relayed his heartfelt gratitude and passed out free books.
- In addition, Two Lions, Amazon Publishing's children's book imprint, generously donated a whopping 20,000 free books to the USO. These books will be distributed to the nearly 80 USO locations hosting United Through Reading® around the world and providing new book options to the many service members and their families that utilize the program every day.
- Amazon Original Kids Series "Bookaboo" is a combination puppetry, live action and CGI animation series that was designed to serve as a global literacy campaign to encourage children, ages 2 to 6, and grown-ups to read together. The series follows 'Bookaboo' -- a world famous rock puppy who tours the globe with his bandmates Paws and Growler. As part of 'Bookaboo's' adventures, there's only one hitch… he can't perform until he reads a story each day. During each episode he gets help from a special celebrity guest, who goes backstage to share their favorite book with him. Created by Lucy Goodman of Happy Films and produced by Happy Films and Sinking Ship Entertainment, The "Bookaboo" series premiered in the UK in 2009.
- Best known as Scarface from the 1998 cult classic "Half Baked," Guillermo Díaz currently stars as 'Huck' on ABC's hit series "Scandal." Díaz also starred in other indie hits including "Party Girl," Nigel Finch's acclaimed film "Stonewall," "200 Cigarettes" and "High School High." The actor has landed many roles that add to his impressive film credits including "Chelsea Walls," directed by Ethan Hawke, and the studio feature "The Terminal" for director Steven Spielberg.
- The USO strives to keep our nation's service members connected to family, home and country, with events like the advance USO screening of the Amazon Original Kids Series "Bookaboo." On Sept. 27, the USO launched Force Behind the Forces -- an 18-month brand awareness campaign that coincides with the USO's 75th anniversary year. The campaign will be featured in television and radio spots, digital and out-of-home ads. The public service advertisement invites Americans to demonstrate their personal commitment to the cause by visiting USO.org/FORCE where they can learn three key ways to become a Force Behind the Force.
USO Tour Photos: http://bit.ly/2d8CaA6
About the USO
The USO strengthens America's military service members by keeping them connected to family, home and country, throughout their service to the nation. At hundreds of locations worldwide, we are united in our commitment to connect our service members and their families through countless acts of caring, comfort, and support. The USO is a private, non-profit organization, not a government agency. Our programs, services and entertainment tours are made possible by the American people, support of our corporate partners and the dedication of our volunteers and staff.
In addition to individual donors and corporate sponsors, the USO is supported by President's Circle Partners: AT&T, the BNSF Railway Foundation, Clark Construction Group, LLC, The Coca-Cola Company, FedEx, Jeep, Johnson & Johnson, Kroger, NFL, Southern New Hampshire University and Four-Star Partners: Advisors Excel, BIC, ConAgra Foods, GEICO, Harris Teeter, Lockheed Martin, Microsoft, Starbucks, TKS, USAA and the Wawa Foundation. We are also supported through the United Way and Combined Federal Campaign (CFC-11381). To join us in this important mission, and to learn more about the USO, please visit uso.org.
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2016/10/17/11G118248/Images/Bookaboo_Diaz_20161007_A032a-fc8107672b8d961398926434eed970f7.jpg
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2016/10/17/11G118248/Images/Bookaboo_Diaz_20161007_A043a-d59938500ad3ac1598265a81b8e6cb4a.jpg