MEMPHIS, TN--(Marketwired - December 11, 2014) - American Home Shield, the leader in the home warranty industry, and a business unit of ServiceMaster Global Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: SERV), is reminding homeowners to take preventative maintenance steps and other precautions to help keep their homes cozy -- and safe -- this winter. Here are five important tips to remember:
- Heating system and air filters - It is always a good idea to have heating systems professionally serviced every year. Also filters should be checked monthly and replaced if needed, and system exhaust vents should be inspected for rust, damage or any corrosion.
- Seals and openings - Check to make sure your doors and windows are properly sealed so heat does not escape. Inspect caulking and weather stripping around openings for wear and tear, and replace if necessary.
- Plumbing - Burst water pipes can cause expensive damage. Take time now to wrap outside pipes that might be exposed to extreme temperatures. Review the locations for the main water and fuel shut-off valves with all members of your household.
- Water Heaters - Test your water heater's pressure relief valve once a year to make sure it is not clogged and is working safely. This is also a good time to check the tank for leaks or corrosion, and to flush it per manufacturer's instructions to eliminate sediment build up. Inspect your water heater pipes to make sure they are properly insulated, and that no insulation has come loose.
- Have a plan - When you own a home, you know that things are going to break down - and when it happens, it is important to know who to call. A home warranty is a great way to protect your budget against costly repairs, and save yourself the time and hassle of finding a qualified professional to get major systems and appliances up and running again.
Homeowners can watch helpful videos about a variety of home maintenance tips and home heating warning signs at www.YouTube.com/TheAHSTeam, the American Home Shield YouTube channel. The short, informational videos are hosted by licensed contractor and television personality David Leon.
American Home Shield also publishes the Home Matters blog, a resource to help homeowners balance their busy lives with tips and news on everything home!
For more information about American Home Shield, including additional maintenance and safety tips, and home warranty plans, visit www.ahs.com
About American Home Shield
American Home Shield founded the home warranty industry in 1971 and remains the industry leader. Together with all of its wholly-owned subsidiaries, American Home Shield services over 1.5 million customers in all 50 states. The companies operate four customer service centers, employ approximately 1,800 employees and have a national contractor network made up of over 11,000 independent home service contractors and more than 45,000 service technicians. American Home Shield is a business unit of ServiceMaster Global Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: SERV), one of the world's largest residential and commercial service networks. The company's brands include Terminix, American Home Shield, ServiceMaster Restore, ServiceMaster Clean, Merry Maids, Furniture Medic and AmeriSpec.
ServiceMaster Global Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: SERV) is a leading provider of residential and commercial services, operating through an extensive service network of more than 7,000 company-owned, franchised and licensed locations. The company's portfolio of well-recognized brands includes Terminix (termite and pest control), American Home Shield (home warranties), ServiceMaster Restore (disaster restoration), ServiceMaster Clean (janitorial), Merry Maids (residential cleaning), Furniture Medic (furniture repair) and AmeriSpec (home inspections). During the last 12 months, the company served approximately 5 million residential and commercial customers through an employee base of approximately 13,000 company associates and a franchise network that independently employs an estimated 33,000 additional people. The company is headquartered in Memphis, Tenn. Go to www.servicemaster.com for more information about ServiceMaster or follow the company at twitter.com/ServiceMaster or facebook.com/TheServiceMasterCo.
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2014/12/9/11G028233/Images/FOB_eyebrow2-1028717171638.jpg