PALO ALTO, CA--(Marketwire - Feb 12, 2013) - Apigee, the API company, today announced that it is experiencing over 200 percent year-over-year growth as businesses increasingly expand their digital ecosystems into the app economy. Apigee's fiscal quarter that ended January 31, 2013 set a record for the company in terms of both licenses and total revenues, coming on the heels of an unprecedented year of expansion and growth in 2012. The company's success has been fueled by the growing demand by businesses -- including many of the world's largest companies -- to expand and innovate in the app economy. Apigee revealed that 30 percent of its new 2012 customers are listed on the Fortune 500 or Global 500 lists of the largest companies in the world.
"Apps are becoming transformative to everything we do -- dictating how we get information, shop and communicate with people -- and even our cars. This has catapulted us into an undeniable 'app economy,'" said Chet Kapoor, Apigee CEO.
"APIs are the nervous system of the app economy, and in the last year, we saw a significant uptick in businesses of all sizes delivering APIs to drive mobile strategies, create new revenue opportunities and spur innovation. In 2013, we look forward to aggressively broadening our API offerings to help customers drive ongoing business value from APIs and the apps built on them."
Today, 20 percent of the Fortune 100 and six of the largest 12 U.S. retailers use Apigee, including the largest drugstore chain in the United States, Walgreens. To learn more about how Walgreens is using Apigee, go to http://apigee.com/about/customers/walgreens-putting-api-around-their-stores.
Apigee experienced growth and expansion in many areas last year. Major 2012 milestones included:
- The launch of the next generation of its leading API platform, which makes the full power of its enterprise-grade API management services available to anyone. The Apigee API platform features new self-service access -- offered at no cost up to 3.5 million API calls per month.
- A $20 million round of funding to rapidly scale development, marketing and sales for the Apigee API platform.
- The launch of Apigee Mobile Analytics, a first-of-its-kind performance and configuration tool that lets software developers quickly detect, diagnose and fix problems with their apps running on mobile devices -- in real time.
- A version of the company's leading API platform designed for Software-Defined Networking (SDN) environments. Apigee now delivers the robust API management required to build, manage and scale applications for the programmable datacenter.
- Three strategic technology acquisitions: Usergrid, Wholesale Applications Community (WAC) and InstaOps.
- Partnership with the GSMA, a global association that unites and represents the interests of the world's leading mobile operators, to provide Apigee's services to the nearly 800 GSMA mobile operators members.
- Launch of Apigee's European Union headquarters in London, as well as new offices in Austin and Detroit.
- Apigee employee headcount grew by over 90 percent, year-over-year.
- Apigee was named one of five "great startups to work for in Silicon Valley" by the technology-focused website Slashdot.
In another announcement today, Apigee launched Apigee Insights, a big data analytics platform that lets organizations gain new business insights using data generated in the app economy. For more information about Apigee Insights, go to the Apigee website at http://apigee.com/about/product/insights.
Apigee is the leading provider of API technology and services for enterprises and developers. Hundreds of companies including Walgreens, Bechtel, eBay, Pearson, and Gilt Groupe as well as tens of thousands of developers use Apigee to simplify the delivery, management and analysis of APIs and apps. Apigee's global headquarters are in Palo Alto, California, and it has offices in Bangalore, India; London, Austin and Detroit. To learn more, go to www.apigee.com.
Apigee is a registered trademark in the U.S. Other product or company names mentioned may be trademarks or trade names of their respective companies.