OAK BROOK, IL--(Marketwired - Mar 20, 2014) - In celebration of the first day of spring, Ace Hardware, the largest retailer-owned hardware cooperative in the industry, is unveiling its predictions for the top spring 2014 color and home décor trends. Hand selected by Ace's Design Experts -- Julie Richard (Boston, Mass.), Nathan Fischer (Orange County, Calif.) and Katie Reynolds (Dallas, Texas) -- these design trends and modern colors evoke the awakening of spring and the fresh, brighter days ahead.
Utilizing more than 30 years of combined interior design and color selection experience, Ace's Design Experts have created an on-trend palette of seasonal hues from Ace's exclusive Clark+Kensington® paint+primer in one line. The spring 2014 palette features a mix of deep blues, inviting pastels and vibrant pops of rich color balanced alongside classic grays and neutrals. "For many homeowners across the country, spring felt as if it would never come," said Reynolds. "Now that it has officially arrived, we're hoping to inspire homeowners with our fresh, seasonal tips and color recommendations that can easily be incorporated into existing home décor. With a few quick updates, homeowners will be able enjoy every moment of the new season -- indoors and out!"
Katie, Julie and Nathan have selected the following Clark+Kensington colors for those who want to be on-trend this spring:
- Take a page from the season's first floral blooms by pairing a bright color with a neutral shade. An entryway painted in a light, classic gray like Garden Stone N-C10 pairs beautifully with an accent piece such as a table or bench painted in a vivid pink coral like Precious Peonies 06D-4.
- Dining room ceilings painted in deep, rich colors with a high-gloss finish will continue to be on-trend this season. Try Midnight Oil 36B-7, a dark navy, to evoke the feeling of the night sky paired with a creamy white such as Light Navajo White CW-W8 on the walls to keep the space feeling open.
- Transform a kitchen by painting the upper cabinetry in a classic white and the lower cabinetry in a deep gray like Smokey Eyes N-C22 to add an airy, updated feeling to the room.
- Lovely spring colors in small doses can add big impact to any room. Cheer things up in a bathroom or laundry room by accenting window casings in Forever Young 39C-3, a pastel purple hue, or by incorporating it into a bedroom on a closet door or old dresser.
- Layered blues look cool and crisp when paired with whites and natural textures. Give a blue makeover to any room by adding this season's blues to walls, ceilings and accent furniture in a variety of tones. Try Air Guitar 36C-7, Work of Art 36D-5 and Marble Sculpture 34A-2 for a palette of layered blues from soft and wispy to bold and dramatic.
- Try a bright and daring hue like Swiss Chard 29D-5 in a bonus or playroom to bring the greenery popping up outside indoors. This color also works well when used as an accent with off-white tones.
- Add a designer look without overpowering the space by selecting a dark charcoal such as Black Chiffon N-C15 or Charcoal Pencil 34A-5 instead of a true black hue on doors, moldings, trim and cabinets.
- Add an airy femininity to a space by pairing hues of pale pink with whites and tones of classic navy. Cherry Blossom 03D-2, the perfect shade of blush, looks glamorous when painted on a piece of accent furniture such as a table or chest and then placed against a rich, navy wall.
- Classic gray hues such as After the Rain N-C11 continue to be popular this season and look great in any room. Add visual interest and a designer look to any space by pairing this color on trim, molding and window and door casings with a crisp white on the walls.
- Update an old dresser with a fresh coat of paint and bold pops of color on the drawers for a whimsical look. Paint the body white and mix it up with two or three bright hues, using one color on each drawer -- Etruscan Gold 21D-5, a warm, deep yellow, is a great color to start with and perfect for the sunny days of spring.
Once the colors are selected, Ace's Design Experts recommend the following spring décor tips for homeowners that are looking to bring the season's trends into their homes:
- Graphic details were on trend last season and this will continue into spring, moving from the walls and onto floors and ceilings. Try a pattern such as fretwork, either painted or stenciled, onto these surfaces for a gorgeous and sophisticated look.
- High-gloss finishes will be popular for entryways and foyers. This sheen makes an impactful statement the moment guests step inside your home.
- Interiors will take a page from the outdoors this season. Expect to see floral designs increase in popularity as homeowners welcome spring by bringing outdoor elements inspired by the season into their homes.
- Mid-century style accent furniture will be on trend. Try it in medium tone finish for a simple, chic look.
- Combining cool water tones in varying shades of blue with natural and organic elements like stones and wood will be a popular way to bring memories of vacations by the water into the home to enjoy all season.
Clark+Kensington, a premium line of paint+primer in one, is available exclusively at Ace Hardware and its semi-gloss finish was ranked #1 by a leading consumer magazine in recent tests of interior paints. The paint line features designer-selected hues that cover the entire color spectrum, providing homeowners with a selection of beautiful, livable colors that meet their personal style preferences.
For more information on Clark+Kensington or Ace's Design Experts, please stop by your local Ace Hardware Store or visit www.pinterest.com/acehardware.
About Ace Hardware
For 90 years, Ace Hardware has been known as the place with the helpful hardware folks in thousands of neighborhoods across America, providing customers with a more personal kind of helpful. In 2013, Ace ranked "Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Home Improvement Retail Stores, Seven Years in a Row" according to J.D. Power. With more than 4,850 hardware stores locally owned and operated across the globe, Ace is the largest hardware cooperative in the industry. Headquartered in Oak Brook, Ill., Ace and its subsidiaries currently operate 14 distribution centers in the U.S. and also have distribution capabilities in Shanghai, China; Panama City, Panama; and Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Its retailers' stores are located in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and approximately 60 countries. For more information on Ace, visit www.acehardware.com.