BEIJING, CHINA--(Marketwired - Oct 19, 2016) - Baidu, Inc. (NASDAQ: BIDU), the leading Chinese language Internet search provider, today announced the release of its latest report, the Global App Power Consumption Report. The report, which will be released on a quarterly basis by the DU Global Battery Lab team in cooperation with the DU Battery Saver team, reviews power consumption patterns of the most popular Android apps worldwide, and ranks those apps according to their strain on smartphone battery life.
In the Global App Power Consumption Report, apps are placed into one of four categories based on how much power they consume when running in the front-end (i.e. actively being used), and when running silently in the background without the user's knowledge. Apps that consume the least battery life in both usage scenarios are classified as "Green label", while those that covertly drain the most power are "Red label". Two other categories, "White label" and "Black label", refer to other less common power consumption patterns.
The report's findings conclude:
- The global average smartphone standby time is 21.7 hours, meaning that users on average must recharge their phone once a day.
- Germany had the longest phone standby time out of all countries polled, at 32.1 hours.
- Indonesia had the shortest phone standby time out of all countries polled, at 12.8 hours.
- Twitter, Viber, Spotify and other popular apps were classified as "Green label" due to the fact that they consume lower-than-average power when running in the front-end and in the background.
- Clash of Clans, Subway Surfer, Candy Crush Saga and other popular games were classified as "Red label" apps, as they consume battery life at a higher-than-average rate when running in the front-end and in the background.
The Global App Power Consumption Report can be downloaded at: http://www.duapps.com/news/release/2016-10-20/1.html, and on Medium, Facebook or the DU Labs Blog.
Baidu's Global Business Unit has developed many popular apps that are enjoyed by over 1.6 billion people worldwide. These products include DU Battery Saver, which has just been updated to version 4.3.0, DU Speed Booster, DU Caller, Facemoji Keyboard and more. Baidu's global mobile ad platform DU Ad Platform provides developers with maximally efficient app monetization technology, and advertisers with sophisticated targeting options. It is now available in over 200 countries around the world.
Baidu, Inc. is the leading Chinese language Internet search provider. As a technology-based media company, Baidu aims to provide the best and most equitable way for people to find what they're looking for. In addition to serving individual Internet search users, Baidu provides an effective platform for businesses to reach potential customers. Baidu's ADSs trade on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the symbol "BIDU". Currently, ten ADSs represent one Class A ordinary share.