RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, NC--(Marketwire - Feb 14, 2012) - Bayer CropScience today announced that Luna, the company's newest fungicide innovation, has received registration from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and is now available for sale(1). Luna fungicides have a unique chemistry and systemic mode of action that provides unprecedented control of some of the most problematic fungal diseases to help growers deliver the best possible fruits, nuts and vegetables.
Luna fungicides offer growers:
- New level of systemic disease control for a broad range of problematic diseases -- including Alternaria blights, scab, powdery mildew and white mold -- to give them peace of mind that they will get as much value as possible from their crop.
- Demonstrated improvements in long-term tree health and on fruit quality and storability.
- New chemical class that maintains control where other products are failing
"The horticultural market has the highest value crops attracting top dollar in markets around the world. With so much money on the line, growers need solutions that will help them overcome problematic disease and resistance issues," said Herb Young, product manager at Bayer CropScience. "With the availability of Luna, growers will have a new tool to help them overcome these disease issues and deliver the highest quality products possible."
Meeting growers' diverse needs
Many growers are experiencing resistance against current fungicides. To help combat this, the Luna portfolio includes three solutions -- Luna Sensation, Luna Tranquility and Luna Experience -- each of which includes dual modes of action.
These brands are uniquely designed to address the specific needs of individual crops as follows:
- In apples, Luna Sensation helps to keep crops disease-free and ensures that the fruit's high quality will be maintained through storage and transport. Trees treated with Luna Sensation will hold leaves longer and have greatly reduced inoculum levels the following season.
In his research, Dr. Keith Yoder, Virginia Tech University, found that Luna Sensation not only provided excellent powdery mildew and scab control on apples, but virtually eliminated primary powdery mildew outbreak the following spring.
- For potatoes, Luna Tranquility offers the broadest spectrum of disease control on the market while also increasing yield. The product is highly effective broadcast or through chemigation in controlling white mold, black dot, the entire early blight complex, including Botrytis and brown spot.
Dr. Jeff Miller, Miller Research, found that when Luna Tranquility is used with potatoes, white mold and early blight control have been outstanding. Luna was very effective on key diseases when applied through chemigation.
- With almonds and pistachios, Luna Sensation and Luna Experience provide control of all key diseases, including Alternaria and hull rot, while improving plant health and decreasing defoliation.
Dr. Jim Adaskaveg, University of California, Davis, found that Luna Experience provided excellent control of Alternaria leaf spot on almonds. Both Luna products performed well in his field trials against hull rot.
In his three years of pistachio trials, Dr. Themis Michailides, University of California, Davis, found that Luna Sensation delivered outstanding control of Alternaria and the other key diseases of pistachio with no loss of activity like other fungicides.
- In watermelons, Luna Experience is effective against Strobilurin and Boscalid-resistant strains providing excellent Gummy stem blight control where other products are failing. Luna offers growers effective disease control at nearly half the rate of current industry standards.
Dr. David Langston, The University of Georgia, found that Luna Experience offered greater control of Gummy stem blight in watermelon than all other solutions in his trials.
- For cherries, Luna Sensation helps growers deliver high-quality fruit at harvest and in transit protecting against powdery mildew, cherry leaf spot, brown rot blossom blight and fruit rot and various post-harvest rots.
Dr. Jay Pscheidt and John Bassinette of Oregon State University conducted trials of Luna Sensation against powdery mildew. After six applications, from start of petal fall to preharvest, Luna Sensation outperformed all other solutions within the trial.
For additional information on Luna, please visit www.LunaFungicides.com, follow Bayer on twitter @Bayer4CropsUs or contact your local sales representative for product information. To learn more about Bayer CropScience, visit www.bayercropscience.us
(1) Luna is not registered in all states.
(C)2012 Bayer CropScience LP, 2 T.W. Alexander Drive, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709. Always read and follow label instructions. Bayer and the Bayer Cross are registered trademarks of Bayer. For product information call toll-free 1-866-99-BAYER (1-866-992-2937) or visit our Website at www.bayercropscience.com.
Bayer CropScience LP is the U.S. business of Bayer CropScience AG
About Bayer CropScience
Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the fields of health care, nutrition and high-tech materials. Bayer CropScience, a subgroup of Bayer AG with annual sales of EUR 6.830 billion (2010), is one of the world's leading innovative crop science companies in the areas of crop protection, non-agricultural pest control, seeds and traits. The company offers an outstanding range of products and extensive service backup for modern, sustainable agriculture and for non-agricultural applications. Bayer CropScience has a global workforce of 20,700 and is represented in more than 120 countries. This and further news is available at: www.press.bayercropscience.com.
This article may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Bayer Group or subgroup management. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Bayer's public reports, which are available on the Bayer website at www.bayer.com. The company assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments.