VANCOUVER, BC--(Marketwired - July 11, 2016) - A total of 15 tourism businesses and destinations from across BC have been recognized in Travel + Leisure's World's Best Awards.
The annual Travel + Leisure World's Best Awards are internationally recognized for representing standout businesses in the travel category. Based on a tightly controlled annual survey, the winners are selected by readers, who offer authentic recommendations about their experiences. Results appear in the August 2016 issue of Travel + Leisure magazine, and on Travel + Leisure's website.
For 2016, BC captured international attention with Mountain Trek of Ainsworth Hot Springs clinching the top spot in the Best International Destination Spa category -- recognized for its spa cuisine, wellness focus and striking landscape.
Vancouver Island was named the Best Island in Canada for the second year in a row. BC accommodation properties also dominated in a two national categories. In the Best Resort Hotels in Canada class, BC carried five of the 10 properties. Under Best City Hotels in Canada, BC properties took the number one and two spots, winning a total of six out of the 10 awards-more than half the category.
BC Winners in the 2016 Travel + Leisure World's Best Awards:
- The Best International Destination Spa
- The Best Islands in Canada
- The Best Cities in Canada
- The Best Resort Hotels in Canada
- The Best City Hotels in Canada
Marsha Walden, President and CEO, Destination BC -
"There is simply no better travel recommendation than from visitors themselves. Again, British Columbia has been recognized among the world's best. Our vast and abundant wilderness, spectacular cities on the edge of nature, and welcoming people offer travellers truly extraordinary experiences."
Shirley Bond, Minister of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training and Minister Responsible for Labour -
"Congratulations to all of the BC winners of Travel + Leisure's World's Best Awards! This kind of international acknowledgement from visitors really shows that British Columbia stands out as a world-class tourism destination. These award-winning businesses and experiences don't happen without the hard work, passion and exceptional customer service provided by the people working in the industry -- great job everyone."
- The Travel + Leisure World's Best is a travel awards program run by Travel + Leisure, based on an annual reader survey. Voted by readers, the 2016 survey was open from November 2, 2015 to February 29, 2016. The results appear in the August 2016 issue of Travel + Leisure magazine, and on the magazine's website: www.travelandleisure.com.
- Award categories include airlines, airports, car-rental agencies, cities, cruise ships, destination spas, hotels, hotel brands, islands, tour operators, and safari outfitters, and cruise ships.
- BC's tourism industry is helping fuel the provincial economy, which is expected to lead the country in economic growth in 2016 and 2017.
- In 2014, tourism generated $14.6 billion in revenue, a 5.1% increase over 2013. 2015 was a banner year, with international overnight custom entries to BC rising by 7.9% over 2014.
- Total International Overnight Custom Entries to BC for 2016 year-to-date (January - April) were up 18.2% over the same period in 2015.
- From January to May 2016, BC restaurant receipts were up 8.9% over 2015.
- For the first three months of 2016, provincial hotel occupancy rates were up 2.2% and provincial average daily room rates were up 8.0% over 2015.
About Destination BC:
Destination BC is an industry-led Crown corporation that works collaboratively with tourism stakeholders across the province to coordinate marketing at the international, provincial, regional and local levels. For more information about Destination BC's programs and services, please visit: www.DestinationBC.ca