TORONTO, ON--(Marketwired - October 31, 2016) - Bellwood Health Services and the Waterstone Clinic, part of the Edgewood Health Network, celebrated their move to their new treatment centre in the community of Leaside, located in midtown Toronto, on October 27. Following a $7 million dollar renovation, the newly refurbished hospital will provide a calm, quiet and peaceful therapeutic community for patients, clients, families and staff, designed specifically to be more conducive to a healing environment.
"We couldn't be more pleased to be moving to our new home. But, today is about so much more than just the building, as beautiful as it is . . . This new treatment centre represents an environment that is truly designed to support recovery and wellness for patients, clients and the families we serve and support," said Christopher Dawson, CEO of the Edgewood Health Network.
"Collaboration, compassion and respect set the tone for the care we provide here," said Cara Vaccarino, Executive Director, Bellwood Health Services. "We recognize that addiction creates isolation and thrives on it, so creating community is fundamental to our philosophy of care. Our treatment approach creates therapeutic communities in which patients, clients, families and staff alike contribute to the healing process as they share activities, build relationships and interact throughout the day. Careful attention is paid to creating an environment of safety, trust and honesty as people achieve recovery and improve the quality of their lives."
Sharing in the celebration were many notable guests including Councillor Jon Burnside, Ward 26, Don Valley West; Col Scott McLeod, Deputy Surgeon General, Canadian Forces Health Services Group and the Head of the Royal Canadian Medical Service; Jim McKenny, former member of the Toronto Maple Leafs and former CityTV Broadcaster, and Andrew Galloway, featured Interventionist on CBC's Intervention Canada and National Director, Outpatient Services, Edgewood Health Network.
Earlier in the morning, the Honourable Kathleen Wynne, MPP for Don Valley West, had the opportunity to tour the new hospital. She was greeted by staff from Bellwood and Waterstone and taken on a tour, which outlined the many benefits the new treatment centre will provide for patients, families and staff.
Bellwood Heath Services is a nationally recognized, accredited treatment centre with over 30 years of experience in the fields of addiction, co-occurring trauma and related mental illness. They have also been proud to partner with the Canadian Armed Forces, Veterans Affairs Canada, the RCMP and other police organizations and first responders to offer a specialized concurrent Addiction and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder/Operational Stress Injury program for more than a decade. The Waterstone Clinic provides evidence based treatment for a range of eating disorders and provides both inpatient and outpatient services.
Of particular note, the new location is the former Donwood Institute, one of Canada's first addiction treatment hospitals, founded by Dr. Gordon Bell in 1967. Dr. Gordon Bell was an internationally recognized pioneer in the field of addiction treatment and one of the founders of Bellwood Health Services. The opportunity to return home to the Donwood Institute is not only a fitting tribute to Dr. Bell, but also an opportunity to provide exceptional benefits to the patients, clients and families we serve and support.
About Edgewood Health Network (EHN)
The Edgewood Health Network (EHN), is Canada's leader in treating addiction and associated mental health issues. Through a network of treatment facilities across the country, addressing both in-patient and outpatient needs, EHN is the largest single provider of adult addiction and mental health treatment in Canada. We know that addiction and mental illness thrive in isolation, which is why we create safe, honest, and trusting therapeutic communities for our patients, clients, and families to share in the healing process. Our national network includes the Edgewood Treatment Centre, Bellwood Health Services, the WaterStone Clinic and eight outpatient clinics. EHN leverages a combined history of over 50 years of experience with the goal of providing a new standard of national care that addresses all aspects of the patients' health: the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual components, as well as the family, and community system. For more information about EHN, please visit www.edgewoodhealthnetwork.com.
Quick Facts at a Glance:
Opening this new treatment centre represents tremendous benefits for patients, clients, and their families:
- Set on nine beautiful acres with incredible green space in midtown Toronto.
- Growing from 58 to 88 beds, helping Bellwood Health Services and the Waterstone Clinic provide care to more people needing treatment and support.
- Bellwood offers comprehensive residential and outpatient treatment programs and services for alcohol, drug, gambling and sex addiction, and a concurrent program for addiction with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder\OSI.
- Bellwood has been proud to partner with the Canadian Armed forces, Veterans Affairs Canada, the RCMP and other police organizations and first responders to offer a specialized concurrent Addiction and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder\Operational Stress Injury program for more than 30 years. Over the past decade more than 1,000 military personnel have been treated through EHN.
- The Waterstone Clinic offers outpatient and residential treatment for Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, and Binge Eating Disorder, and collaborates with Bellwood Health Services to provide concurrent addiction treatment as necessary.
- Enhanced residential suite of services in the areas of PTSD and eating disorders.
- New teaching kitchen for eating disorders treatment.
- Provides for a calm, quiet and peaceful therapeutic community for patients, clients, families and staff.
- $7 million renovation to create a "state of the art" facility where a more holistic approach to treatment is now possible.
- 24/7 nursing and medical care.
- Accommodations that include private and semi-private rooms as well as rooms designed for three people.
- An increase in therapy options to better incorporate the outdoors in a more meaningful way -- yoga outside in the fresh air, hikes on the many walking trails, outdoor meditation.
- Upscale kitchen renovation with the addition of a 5 star chef to ensure patients receive nutritious meals served in a beautiful setting overlooking the ravine.
- Space to offer adjunct services including massage therapy, acupuncture and chiropractic care.
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2016/10/31/11G120227/Images/1DX_8800-crop-ed999412efd6a26197b16b8a2b5b1602.jpg