SANTA CLARA, CA--(Marketwired - Aug 25, 2016) - Big Switch Networks®, the leader in bringing hyperscale-inspired networking to data centers worldwide, announced today that the company will be at VMworld 2016 U.S. to showcase the multiple ways Big Cloud Fabric (BCF)™ supports VMware workloads, including as a network fabric underlay for VMware NSX™ network virtualization deployments.
Big Switch will be at booth #558, where engineers will walk through a live instance of Big Cloud Fabric for NSX visibility and will preview NSX HW VTEP functionality on the underlay. In addition Big Switch will demo Big Cloud Fabric support for VMware vSphere and VMware Virtual SAN workloads. To schedule an appointment to learn about Big Cloud Fabric and how it supports VMware workloads, please visit: bit.ly/2aWxUVQ.
Guido Appenzeller, Chief Technology Strategy Officer, Networking and Security Business Unit, VMware, will be highlighting a real world mutual deployment of VMware NSX and Big Switch's Big Cloud Fabric for Nomura Research Institute (NRI) in his Spotlight Session at 2pm on Monday, August 29.
Unlike legacy box-by-box networking, Big Cloud Fabric is a Leaf-Spine Clos fabric with centralized SDN control that operates as one logical switch with a single pane of glass for network management instead of the traditional manual box-by-box management paradigm. The innovative BCF architecture provides order of magnitude improvements in ease of use and manageability of data center networks by offering the following transformative benefits:
- Simple to Provision - Enables rapid provisioning and segmentation of tenants - key for the physical network to operate at the speed of VMs.
- Simple to Operate - Enhance productivity with a zero-touch fabric that provides significant day to day operational efficiencies.
- Simple to Scale - A logical chassis enables an elastic pod architecture that can grow from 2 racks to tens of racks seamlessly as required by business needs.
- Economical - Reduces overall TCO by up to 50% compared to a legacy networking infrastructure.
Big Cloud Fabric is an ideal networking fabric for multiple VMware workloads with a single point of integration with vCenter for the entire fabric. BCF's support for VMware solutions include:
- BCF's network automation and visibility for vSphere:
- Automatic ESXi host discovery and LAG formation to each leaf switch
- Automatic BCF Layer 2 segment creation and VM learning
- Network policy migration with vSphere vMotion / Dynamic Resource Scheduler (DRS)
- Improved VM visibility and troubleshooting for both network and virtualization administrators
- Support integration with multiple vCenters (customer: U2Cloud)
- BCF's GUI plug-in for vCenter for VM admin visibility & troubleshooting:
- Single pane of glass network visibility for virtualization admin
- Visibility to host-to-leaf connectivity
- VM-to-VM troubleshooting on leaf-spine-leaf fabric
- Configuration of Layer 3 gateway on BCF from vCenter
- BCF's Content Pack for vRealize Log Insight: significant operational value for the VMware admin:
- Centralized Network view for multiple BCF PODS
- Pre-configured dashboards for BCF
- Pre-configured alerts to monitor BCF error conditions
- Virtual SAN network automation and visibility: The "easy-button" networking for Virtual SAN administrators
- Auto Virtual SAN Host Connectivity to BCF
- Auto Virtual SAN Network Creation on BCF
- One Click L2/L3 Multicast Deployments
- VMware NSX for vSphere underlay visibility and troubleshooting: interoperability between Big Cloud Fabric and VMware NSX for vSphere, which will provide unified overlay and underlay visibility (VMs, logical switches, VNIs) to network admins as well, as VTEP-to-VTEP troubleshooting across the entire leaf-spine-leaf fabric, in VMware vSphere environments.
"As customers accelerate their adoption of software-defined data center technologies, our deepening partnership with VMware offers customers the opportunity to further gain agility and cost efficiencies of enterprise networks," said Prashant Gandhi, VP Products and Strategy at Big Switch Networks. "With Big Cloud Fabric and VMware's vSphere, VMware NSX or Virtual SAN, organizations can run their physical networks at the speed of VMs while dramatically simplifying operational workflows."
"We are pleased to see Big Switch deliver further interoperability and deeper visibility with multiple VMware solutions to help accelerate production deployments of the software-defined data center. By providing additional automation of the physical network, Big Cloud Fabric enables our mutual customers to rapidly deploy applications," said Teri Bruns, vice president, Global Partner Solutions, VMware. "Additionally, consistent visibility across physical network and virtualization environments is an important benefit that helps IT teams resolve issues faster."
About Big Switch Networks
Big Switch Networks is the market leader in bringing hyperscale data center networking technologies to a broader audience. The company is taking three key hyperscale technologies -- open Ethernet switch hardware, sophisticated SDN control software, and core-and-pod data center designs -- and leveraging them in fit-for-purpose products designed for use in enterprises, cloud providers, and service providers. The company's Big Tap Monitoring Fabric is an entry level solution to monitor existing networks, and the flagship Big Cloud Fabric is the industry's most advanced bare metal switching fabric intended for new data center pods such as private cloud, big data, and VDI. For additional information, email firstname.lastname@example.org, follow @bigswitch, or visit www.bigswitch.com.
Big Switch Networks, Big Cloud Fabric, Big Tap, Switch Light OS, and Switch Light vSwitch are trademarks or registered trademarks of Big Switch Networks, Inc. VMware, Horizon, vSphere and NSX are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and other jurisdictions. All other trademarks, service marks, registered marks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.