SOURCE: Kalorama Information

Kalorama Information

April 29, 2009 09:43 ET

Biological Wound Dressings May Shorten Hospital Stays, a Boon in Any Economy

NEW YORK, NY--(Marketwire - April 29, 2009) - New biologic techniques might be able to speed recovery and shorten hospital stays for patients undergoing the 100,000-plus surgical procedures performed each day in the U.S., says a new report "Wound Care Markets, 4th Edition, Vol. III: Surgical and Trauma Wounds" from leading life science market research publisher Kalorama Information. This could make the treatment of surgical wounds an ideal recession proof industry.

According to the report, the worldwide surgical and trauma wound care market reached revenues of $5.9 billion in 2009, increasing 6.5% annually since 2003. Kalorama forecasts overall growth to continue at 4.8% through 2013 despite the recession, spurred mainly by the biological dressing segment. This segment includes artificial skin, collagen and growth factors, which combined enjoyed a healthy 11.3% annual growth rate from 2003 to 2008 and are forecast to continue at 8.5% annually through 2013. With their ability to speed the healing process, and improve patient care, biological dressings simultaneously shorten hospital stays and thus reduce costs.

"Wound treatment is a classic recession proof industry," notes Bruce Carlson, publisher of Kalorama Information. "That being said, the lagging economy will have some impact, slowing growth in more traditional wound care treatments, while biological dressings will enjoy downright impressive growth due to their ability to shorten hospital stays. Any product that can reduce hospital costs will always find a market."

New wound care products and devices are entering the market at lightning speed, all striving for the best clinical outcomes. The emerging generation of wound care products and technologies are well-positioned to capitalize on the growing market. Besides the always-improving synthetic dressing materials, newer technologies in treatment include the xenogeneic tissue scaffold, bilayered human dermal substitutes, recombinant growth factors, endoscopic subfascial ligation of venous perforators, and endovascular arterial repair techniques.

Kalorama Information's new report, "Wound Care Markets, 4th Edition, Vol. III: Surgical and Trauma Wounds," discusses current and emerging technologies and techniques and analyzes the major trends driving growth in the worldwide wound care market. The study provides market size, growth and forecasts by product segment, and a competitive analysis of leading providers. For further information visit: http://www.kaloramainformation.com/redirect.asp?progid=68268&productid=2107969.

About Kalorama Information

Kalorama Information supplies the latest in independent market research in the life sciences, as well as a full range of custom research services.

Contact Information