SAN DIEGO, CA--(Marketwire - Oct 4, 2012) - BrightScope (www.brightscope.com), a leading provider of independent financial information and investment research, today announced its second round list of the top Baltimore area-based companies with the highest ranked 401k plans containing more than $100 million in assets. This year BrightScope has extended the list to include the top 25 companies.
BrightScope obtains an increasing amount of its data directly from plan sponsors and record keepers, and augments these primary sources with data from publicly available sources such as the Department of Labor and the Securities and Exchange Commission. By analyzing and interpreting this data, BrightScope provides unprecedented transparency into the 401k industry.
"The purpose of the BrightScope Rating is to recognize companies with admirable plans and to encourage employers with poorly rated plans to examine options for improving them by providing objective benchmarks for plan performance," said Dan Weeks, founder and COO of BrightScope. "It is evident that the Baltimore companies on this list have created successful internal benchmarks that give their employees reliable financial futures."
Noteworthy findings in the 2012 Top 25 Baltimore 401k Plans list include:
- List newcomers Zeta Associates and Advanced Technology Holding, LLC take number one and two spots, respectively
- Only 4 of the 10 companies from the previous list made a second appearance on this year's list
- Drop in rank: All four of the previous 10 companies included on last year's list dropped at least four spots in this year's list, most notably -- Savings Board of the NFL Player Second Career Savings Plan dropped 23 places from 1st to 23rd, Mid-Atlantic Permanente Medical Group, P.C. fell 4 ranks from No. 2 to No. 6, MedImmune, LLC dropped 16 spots from No. 4 to No. 20, and Legg Mason, Inc. slipped 17 spots from 7th to 24th
- Notable Newcomers: Zeta Associates (No. 1), Advanced Technology Holding, LLC (No. 2), Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP (No. 3), Arnold & Porter LLP (No. 4), and Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, L.L.P. (No. 5), among others.
Company - Plan Name - BrightScope Rating
1. Zeta Associates - Zeta Associates Incorporated Savings Plan - 91.69
2. Advanced Technology Holding, LLC - ATH Retirement Plan and Trust - 91.34
3. Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP - Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP Savings and Retirement Plan - 86.97
4. Arnold & Porter LLP - Arnold & Porter LLP Profit-Sharing and 401(k) Plan and Trust - 86.68
5. Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, L.L.P. - Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, L.L.P. Profit Sharing Plan - 86.63
6. Mid-Atlantic Permanente Medical Group, P.C. - Mid-Atlantic Permanente Medical Group, P.C. 401(k) Plan - 86.20
7. Venable LLP - Venable LLP Retirement Plan - 85.81
8. Covington & Burling LLP - Covington & Burling Retirement Savings Plan - 85.76
9. The AES Corporation - The AES Corporation Retirement Savings Plan - 85.59
10. Hogan & Hartson, LLP - Hogan & Hartson, LLP Retirement Savings Plan - 85.49
11. VeriSign, Inc. - VeriSign, Inc. 401(k) Plan - 85.13
12. The NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc. - The NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc. 401(k) Savings Plan - 85.12
13. Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP - Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP Retirement Plan A - 84.94
14. Patton Boggs LLP - Patton Boggs LLP Retirement Plan - 84.87
15. FINRA - FINRA Savings Plus Plan - 84.27
16. National Education Association of the United States - The National Education Association 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan - 84.26
17. DLA Piper LLP (US) - DLA Piper LLP (US) Profit Sharing and 401(k) Savings Plan - 84.12
18. Crowell & Moring LLP - Crowell & Moring LLP Retirement Plan - 83.89
19. AREVA NC, Inc. - AREVA USA Group Savings Plan - 83.87
20. MedImmune, LLC - MedImmune, LLC 401(k) Plan - 83.86
21. Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corp. - Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corp. Thrift/401(k) Savings Plan - 83.70
22. Wiley Rein LLP - Wiley Rein Retirement Plan - 83.69
23. Savings Board of the NFL Player Second Career Savings Plan - NFL Player Second Career Savings Plan - 83.36
24. Legg Mason, Inc. - The Legg Mason Profit Sharing and 401(k) Plan and Trust - 83.29
25. Software AG USA, Inc. - Software AG USA, Inc. Profit Sharing Plan - 83.05
BrightScope's 401k plan Rating was developed by BrightScope, Inc. with the help of leading academics and independent 401k fiduciaries. Analyzing more than 200 individual data points, the BrightScope Rating algorithm can calculate a single numerical score for each 401k plan in the country. The data points examined cover broad categories such as total plan cost, company generosity and investment menu quality.
The company has rated more than 46,000 retirement plans, spanning 30 million workers and $2 trillion in assets, and provided information on more than 770,000 financial advisors. Industry adoption of the BrightScope Rating will lead to more cost-effective plans, increased participation rates, higher employee satisfaction and better outcomes for the 60 million employees who depend on their 401k plan for retirement.
BrightScope is a financial information company that brings transparency to opaque markets through independent research and analysis. Delivered through web-based software, BrightScope data drives better decision-making for individual investors, corporate plan sponsors, asset managers, broker-dealers, and financial advisors. The BrightScope Rating™, developed in partnership with leading independent 401k fiduciaries, reviews more than 200 unique data inputs per plan and calculates a single numerical score which defines plan quality at the company level. In April 2011, the company launched BrightScope Advisor Pages™, the first comprehensive and publicly available directory of financial advisors designed to help consumers discover information and conduct due diligence on wealth management professionals. BrightScope also markets a suite of data analytics software products to Fortune 1000 companies, asset managers, broker-dealers, financial advisors, and other market participants. Public ratings for more than 46,000 retirement plans as well as rating definitions, criteria and methodologies, and information on more than 770,000 financial advisors and nearly 45,000 advisory firms are available for free at www.brightscope.com.