SAN DIEGO, CA--(Marketwire - Mar 26, 2013) - BrightScope (www.brightscope.com), a leading provider of independent financial information and investment research, today announced the Top 25 companies with the highest ranked 401k plans containing more than $100 million in assets in the health and medicine sector. This is the third list in a new series that BrightScope will regularly issue to highlight the strongest plans within leading industries across the nation.
BrightScope obtains an increasing amount of its data directly from plan sponsors and record keepers, and augments these primary sources with data from publicly available sources such as the Department of Labor and the Securities and Exchange Commission. By analyzing and interpreting this data, BrightScope provides unprecedented transparency into the 401k industry.
"Like all important life matters, whether it's physical health or financial well-being, due diligence and research should be a priority," said Mike Alfred, CEO and co-founder of BrightScope. "That is where these lists and the BrightScope rating can help -- it gives employers and employees easy access to information about their 401k plan and provides benchmarks for creating more robust and reliable offerings."
Key statistics found on the list of health and medicine companies with the best 401k plan:
- Average account balance for plans listed is $303,634
- 98.06% is the average participation rate for plans on the list
- Average company generosity for plans listed is $19,886; the median is $18,704
- Average salary deferral for plans listed is $7,970; the median is $10,386
Top 25 health and medicine companies with the highest ranked 401k plan containing more than $100 million in assets:
Company - Plan Name - BrightScope Rating
1. Oregon Anesthesiology Group, P.C. - Oregon Anesthesiology Group, P.C. 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan - 92.10
2. Sutter Medical Group, Inc. - Sutter Medical Group 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan - 91.61
3. Spectrum Medical Group, P.A. - Spectrum Medical Group, P.A. 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan - 91.54
4. Anesthesia Service Medical Group, Inc. - Anesthesia Service Medical Group, Inc. 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan Trust - 91.05
5. Gould Medical Group, Inc. - Gould Medical Group, Inc. 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan and Trust - 89.61
6. Capitol Anesthesiology Association - Capitol Anesthesiology Association 401(k) Profit-Sharing and Savings Plan - 89.56
7. Colorado Permanente Medical Group P.C. - Colorado Permanente Medical Group P.C. Cash or Deferred Profit Sharing Plan and Trust - 89.02
8. Scripps Clinic Medical Group, Inc. - Scripps Clinic Medical Group, Inc. Retirement Savings Plan - 88.72
9. Hawaii Permanente Medical Group, Inc. - Hawaii Permanente Medical Group, Inc. Profit Sharing Plan - 88.57
10. Pinnacle Anesthesia Consultants, P.A. - P.A.C. 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan and Trust - 88.45
11. Greater Houston Anesthesiology, P.A. - Greater Houston Anesthesiology, P.A. 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan - 88.40
12. Elan Pharmaceuticals - Elan 401(k) Savings Plan - 88.06
13. Southern California Permanente Medical Group - Southern California Permanente Medical Group Retirement Plan - 87.64
14. EMP Management Group, Ltd. - Emergency Medicine Physicians Profit Sharing/401(k) Plan and Trust - 87.63
15. Emergency Medical Associates - 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan for Employees of EMX, LP - 87.14
16. University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation, Inc. - University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation, Inc. Physicians Money Purchase Pension Plan - 87.13
17. Private Diagnostic Clinic, PLLC - The Private Diagnostic Clinic, PLLC Profit Sharing Plan - 87.12
18. Northwest Permanente, P.C. - Northwest Permanente, P.C. Retirement Plan Money Purchase Pension Aspect - 86.88
19. Group Health Permanente - Group Health Permanente Medical Group Pension Plan - 86.41
20. MedAmerica, Inc. - 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan for Employees of MedAmerica, Inc. - 85.85
21. The Iowa Clinic, P.C. - The Iowa Clinic 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan - 85.28
22. Mid-Atlantic Permanente Medical Group, P.C. - Mid-Atlantic Permanente Medical Group, P.C. 401(k) Plan - 85.21
23. AMAET, PLLC - AMAET, LLC Profit Sharing 401(k) Plan - 84.92
24. Anesthesia Medical Group, P.C. - Anesthesia Medical Group, P.C. 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan - 84.85
25. Tufts Medical Center Physicians Organization, Inc. - Tufts Medical Center Physicians Organization, Inc. 401(a) Retirement Plan - 84.82
The BrightScope Rating was developed by BrightScope, Inc. with the help of leading academics and independent 401k fiduciaries. By analyzing more than 200 individual data points, the BrightScope Rating algorithm calculates a single numerical value for each 401k plan. The data points examined cover broad categories such as total plan cost, company generosity and investment menu quality.
BrightScope has rated nearly 50,000 401k plans, spanning more than 30 million workers and over $2 trillion in assets. Industry adoption of the BrightScope Rating will lead to more cost-effective plans, increased participation rates, higher employee satisfaction and better outcomes for the 60 million employees who depend on their 401k plan for retirement.
BrightScope is a financial information company that brings transparency to opaque markets through independent research and analysis. Delivered through web-based software, BrightScope data drives better decision-making for individual investors, corporate plan sponsors, asset managers, broker-dealers, and financial advisors. The BrightScope Rating™, developed in partnership with leading independent 401k fiduciaries, reviews more than 200 unique data inputs per plan and calculates a single numerical score which defines plan quality at the company level. In April 2011, the company launched BrightScope Advisor Pages™, the first comprehensive and publicly available directory of financial advisors designed to help consumers discover information and conduct due diligence on wealth management professionals. BrightScope also markets a suite of data analytics software products to Fortune 1000 companies, asset managers, broker-dealers, financial advisors, and other market participants. Public ratings for more than 46,000 retirement plans as well as rating definitions, criteria and methodologies, and information on nearly 600,000 financial advisors and nearly 40,000 advisory firms are available for free at www.brightscope.com.