Citizens for Bruce C

Citizens for Bruce C

June 16, 2008 09:30 ET

Bruce Site to Remain Largest in Ontario

Government commits to the security of the Bruce Site and to considering a Bruce C option

BRUCE COUNTY, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - June 16, 2008) - Citizens for Bruce C are pleased with the announcement today by Infrastructure Ontario and Huron-Bruce MPP Carol Mitchell that the role for the Bruce site has been secured by the provincial government, while next steps will take place to access the most economical way of securing future output from the site. The statement today also confirms the Bruce site will remain the largest in Ontario providing 45% of Ontario's baseload nuclear through a combination of refurbishment and new build. The group also vowed today to continue to fight for the Bruce site as the process progresses.

"When we started this campaign we viewed the Bruce C option as an opportunity to secure the future of the Bruce site. This announcement today means the Bruce C option remains a strong one and there is a commitment by the government to moving forward with securing the site," said Doug Mullaly, President of the Bruce Power Pensioners Association and a Co-Chair of the Citizens for Bruce C.

Doug Storrey, Kincardine businessman and Co-chair of Citizens for Bruce C said, "Securing the future of the Bruce site with the Bruce C option as a key component means our community will have stability over the next 20 years. This is a clear statement by the government that the Bruce site will remain the largest site in Ontario as the foundation of our nuclear industry".

Infrastructure Ontario has announced a joint assessment will now be undertaken to consider the most economical way of securing the output from the Bruce site. This will allow the planning for Bruce C to continue while discussions can begin considering the right combination of new build and/or further refurbishment.

"This community made their voice heard and with that we have achieved a significant victory. We have always said this is not a campaign against another site. It is a campaign for Bruce. We believe the announcement today is a win-win for both Bruce and Darlington sites," said Dave Trumble, Co- Chair of the Citizens for Bruce C and President of the Grey-Bruce Labour Council.

Last week, the Citizens for Bruce C made a presentation to the Ontario Ministry of Energy urging them to not only confirm the role of the Bruce site but to keep the new build option at Bruce open. Their case to policy makers was supported by over 12,000 signatures, all local councils in Bruce County and other community groups.

Contact Information

  • Citizens for Bruce C
    Dave Trumble
    (519) 396-9452 or (Cell): 519-955-1061
    or
    Citizens for Bruce C
    Doug Mullaly
    (519) 389-2393
    or
    Citizens for Bruce C
    Doug Storrey
    (519) 396-8198 (Business) 519-396-3465