OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Jan. 29, 2014) - Department of National Defence
Members of 3rd Canadian Ranger Patrol Group (3 CRPG) will present 92-year-old Ranger Abraham Metatawabin with the first clasp to his Canadian Forces' Decoration (CD) in a ceremony on January 30, at his home in Fort Albany, Ontario, during their 20th Anniversary Surveillance Patrol.
Ranger Metatawabin will be the first Ranger in Ontario to receive a clasp to his CD. The CD is awarded to those who have served 12 years in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) and the clasp represents an additional 10 years of service.
The present-day 3 CRPG dates back to 1993, but the unit's origins can be traced back to the 1950s. The 3 CRPG is predated by the James Bay Rangers, of which Ranger Abraham Metatawabin was a member. The James Bay Rangers operated with the same mandate in the same region from the 1950s to the early 1970s as 3 CRPG does today. In 1995 Ranger Abraham Metatawabin re-joined the Rangers as part of the Fort Albany Patrol. His lengthy service and commitment to the Canadian Rangers has made him a worthy candidate to receive the CD and first clasp.
- About Ranger Abraham Metatawabin:
- Enrolled on January 8, 1963 and served until March 31, 1971;
- Re-enrolled on January 19, 1995 and continues to serve to present day;
- A member of 3 CRPG, Fort Albany Patrol;
- One of the first Rangers to receive the Special Service Medal with Ranger Bar when he received his from then-Governor General Adrienne Clarkson in February 2000;
- The first Ranger in Ontario to receive the CD from the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario James Bartleman in May 2003; and
- Former Chief of Fort Albany.
- About the 3 CRPG:
- The Canadian Rangers Ontario were officially formed as a Primary Reserve Unit within the Vice Chief of the Defence Staff on November 3, 1993;
- The first patrol opened on February 15, 1994, in Moose Factory, Ontario; and
- To commemorate 20 years of service, 3 CRPG is conducting a long-range surveillance patrol from January 26 to February 1, starting at the Ontario-Manitoba border and moving along the Hudson and James Bay coastline, to Cochrane, Ontario.
- About the Canadian Rangers:
- The Canadian Rangers are a sub-component of the Canadian Armed Forces Reserve. They are responsible for conducting and supporting sovereignty operations, assisting in domestic operations and maintaining a CAF presence in local communities. In particular, 3 CRPG watches Ontario's vast northern region.
"I am immensely proud of the outstanding service Ranger Abraham Metatawabin has given to the Canadian Armed Forces for so many years. It gives me great pride to see the CD and first clasp being given to such a well-deserving individual. Congratulations Ranger Abraham Metatawabin on your exceptional achievements."
Lieutenant-General Marquis Hainse
Commander of the Canadian Army
"Ranger Metatawabin's long and distinguished career is an example to the entire Canadian Army and, indeed, to all Canadians, of serving your community and your country. I'm proud to have such a dedicated and talented Ranger under my command."
Brigadier-General Omer Lavoie
Commander 4th Canadian Division
"Ranger Abraham Metatawabin is highly respected for his wisdom and knowledge of the land. He has served with distinction as a Canadian Ranger and as an elder in Fort Albany. 3 CRPG is proud to recognize Ranger Abraham Metatawabin as the first Ranger in Ontario to receive the clasp to the CD."
Lieutenant-Colonel Matthew Richardson
Commanding Officer, 3 CRPG
Canadian Army website
3rd Canadian Ranger Patrol Group
Canadian Forces' Decoration (CD)