Canadian Association of Movers

Canadian Association of Movers

February 18, 2014 09:00 ET

Canadian Association of Movers: Deducting Moving Expenses at Tax Time

The Canadian Association of Movers (CAM) gives advice to consumers about claiming their moving expenses at tax time

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Feb. 18, 2014) - If you are moving to start a new job or to carry on a business, you may be entitled to deduct some of your moving-related expenses. The major criterion for eligibility is that the new residence must be a minimum of 40 kilometers closer to the new place of work or school. At the present time, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) still contends that new location means a "new" employer. There have been tax appeals that have challenged this rule but, to date, no legal precedent has been established, so moving closer while staying with an existing employer does not qualify according to the CRA.

Eligible moving expenses can be deducted from the employment income or self-employment income earned at the new location after the move is completed. If your net moving expenses that you paid in the year of the move are more than the eligible income earned at the new work location in the same year, you can carry forward and deduct the unused part of the expenses in the following year.

If you received a reimbursement or an allowance from your employer, you can only claim your moving expenses if you include the amount received in your income or if you reduce your moving expenses by the amount received.

If you are a full-time student who moves to attend a qualified educational institution, you may also be able to deduct some moving expenses from specified income. For more information for students, obtain a copy of pamphlet P105, Students and Income Tax, from the forms and publications section of the CRA website.

Moving related expenses that can be claimed include:

  • transportation and storage (such as packing, movers loading and delivering the shipment, in-transit storage and cargo protection premium) for household effects;
  • travel expenses, including vehicle expenses for the trip related to your move;
  • temporary living expenses up to a maximum of 15 days for meals and temporary accommodations;
  • cost of cancelling your lease for your old residence;
  • incidental costs related to your move, including changing of address on legal documents, replacing driver's licenses and utility disconnection or reconnection;
  • cost to maintain the vacant residence up to $5000, for the cost of interest, property taxes, heat and utilities, etc., while the residence is vacant when reasonable efforts were made to sell the home;
  • cost of selling the old residence, including advertising, real estate commissions, legal fees, etc.;
  • cost of purchasing a new home - you can claim legal fees.

The Canadian Association of Movers has declared 2014 to be The Year of the Reputable Mover. Consumers need to protect themselves from disreputable businesses and criminals posing as moving companies. CAM will be working this year to educate consumers about the pitfalls of using rogue businesses and about contacting CAM to find a reputable, professional moving company.

For further information: For complete details on claiming moving expenses, visit - choose the forms and publications menu for information on moving and form T1-ME(12). For information on moving, contact the Canadian Association of Movers, Canada's moving industry trade association. CAM helps consumers by identifying good movers and monitoring movers' performance. Consumers should contact CAM at 1-866-860-0065; visit CAM's website,; fax enquiry to 1-866-601-8499; email to; mail to PO Box 30039, RPO New Westminster, Thornhill, ON, Canada L4J 0C6./

Contact Information