OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Jan. 6, 2014) - Department of National Defence
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship (HMCS) Regina left Esquimalt today to join Operation ARTEMIS, Canada's contribution to the multinational effort in support of maritime security and counter-terrorism operations in the Arabian Sea region.
HMCS Regina will replace HMCS Toronto, which had been in the region from February to December 2013. During her deployment, HMCS Toronto intercepted and destroyed seven narcotics shipments totalling approximately 7.8 metric tonnes.
- During the deployment, the Halifax-class frigate and her crew of approximately 250 personnel, including a CH-124 Sea King helicopter air detachment from 443 Squadron, based in Patricia Bay, British Columbia will work together with allies to detect, deter and detract terrorist activities by conducting patrols and maritime security operations.
- Operation ARTEMIS is Canada's contribution to Combined Task Force 150 (CTF-150), a multinational effort to combat terrorism in the Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean. CTF-150 is one of three task forces commanded by Combined Maritime Forces (CMF), a multi-national naval partnership of 29 nations including Canada.
"In our complex world there are real security challenges. This deployment is a clear demonstration of the ability and readiness of the Canadian Armed Forces and Royal Canadian Navy to respond to those challenges, and to sail in support of Canada's national interests. HMCS Regina will carry on the excellent work HMCS Toronto has been doing in support of Operation ARTEMIS, making valuable contributions to combating terrorism and supporting maritime security."
- General Tom Lawson, Chief of the Defence Staff
"HMCS Regina and her crew are ready to take on the challenges that await them. Our Navy is a multi-purpose, combat-capable force ready to deploy anywhere in the world. In this instance, Regina's deployment will continue to support Canada's strategic goals in the Arabian Sea Region."
- Vice-Admiral Mark Norman, Commander of the Royal Canadian Navy
- Information on Operation ARTEMIS is available at: http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/operations-abroad-current/op-artemis.page