Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency

March 20, 2014 11:58 ET

Caring for Dependants? Depend on the Family Caregiver Amount

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - March 20, 2014) -

Did you know?

If you have a dependant with a physical or mental impairment, you could be eligible to claim up to an additional $2,040 in certain non-refundable tax credits.

Important facts

The family caregiver amount (FCA) helps Canadians with the costs of caring for a dependant with a physical or mental impairment.

To claim the FCA, the dependant must be:

  • an individual 18 years of age or older who is dependent on you because of a physical or mental impairment; or
  • a child under 18 years of age with a physical or mental impairment. The impairment must be prolonged and indefinite, and the child must be dependent on you for assistance in attending to personal needs and care when compared to children of the same age.

You may be asked to provide a signed statement from a medical doctor that provides information on the nature, commencement, and duration of the dependant's impairment. You can claim the family caregiver amount for more than one eligible dependant.

For more information, go to

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) online services make filing easier and let you get your refund faster

The CRA's online services are fast, easy, and secure. You can use them to file your income tax and benefit return, make a payment, track your refund, and more. Sign up for direct deposit too! Your refund and any benefit or credit payments owed to you will be deposited directly into your account, putting your money in your pocket faster. For more information, go to

Stay connected

To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:

- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.

- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.

- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.

You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.

Contact Information

  • Noel Carisse
    Media Relations
    Canada Revenue Agency