LOS ANGELES, CA--(Marketwired - September 06, 2016) - Writers In Treatment is bringing its Los Angeles based REEL Recovery Film Festival & Symposium to CINEMA VILLAGE, 22 W. 12th St., NY, NY 10003, from Sept. 23 - Sept. 28.
All films $10.00
This 7-day film festival and recovery symposium is a celebration of film, the arts, creativity, recovery from substance abuse and alcohol addiction. Showcased are filmmakers who make honest films about addiction, alcoholism, behavioral disorders, treatment and living sober. Slated for screening is an eclectic lineup of contemporary and classic films, documentaries and shorts from first-time filmmakers and industry veterans.
PREVIOUS GUESTS have included: Director Robert Downey Sr., actor, Joey Pantoliano, musician and television personality, Bob Forrest. Also in person, international addiction expert, author and philosopher/physician Dr. Gabor Maté, ex-Boston Celtic, Chris Herren, author Steve Geng, Kevin Hanlon, director of PBS documentary, Bill W., Chicago peacekeeper and filmmaker, Tio Hardiman, New York Times writer, David Carr, Malachy McCourt, Susan Cheever, Dr. Tian Dayton and many more…
NUMEROUS NEW YORK PREMIERS include: "The Frog March" - Director, Jonathan D'Ambrosio, IN PERSON "Behind Bars" - Director/Writer Jeff Wincott, IN PERSON. "Last Words"- Director/Writer Adam Shiri, IN PERSON "Dirty Beautiful" Director/Writer, Tim Bartell, IN PERSON
SPECIAL EVENTS include:
Saturday, September 24, 2016
• 1:00 pm - "My Name is Bill W." Staring James Woods and James Garner. Written by William Borchert View trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Zv8GNROhQ
• 3:00 pm - "When Love is not Enough, The Lois Wilson Story." Staring Winona Ryder and Barry Pepper. Written by William Borchert
View trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZgg3y7lJng
• Q&A with Author William Borchert discussing the books behind the films and the filming of, "My Name is Bill W" and "When Love is not Enough, The Lois Wilson Story."
• 5:00 pm - World Premiere of "The Mary Seiberling Tapes, Witness to a Miracle"
• Q&A with SPECIAL GUEST Dr. Kimberly Johnson from SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration).
• Q&A with filmmaker Kathy Anderson and William Huhn, grandson of Henrietta Seiberling discussing The story behind the historical meeting of Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob Smith at the home of Henrietta Seiberling in 1935.
Wednesday, Sept. 28th
• 8:00 pm - Lawrence Block: The True Story of a Fictional Drunks' Recovery. Award-Winning author Lawrence Block discusses one of his most beloved characters, Matthew Scudder. Author of over 150 novels, Mr. Block will discuss the devo/evolution of sober private eye, Matthew Scudder. The ex-cop first appeared in print in 1976 in "The Sins of the Fathers," as a hard-drinking, defrocked New York cop, now working as an unlicensed private investigator.
The REEL Recovery Film Festival & Symposium also plays in: LOS ANGELES, CA Oct. 20-27, FT. LAUDERDALE, FL NOV. 2-5, DENVER, tba, HOUSTON, tba.
Primary sponsors: Best Drug Rehabilitation, Tres Vista, Recovery Centers of America, and Betty Ford Center.
About Writers In Treatment
Writers In Treatment is an organization whose primary purpose is to save lives through free referrals guiding individuals towards 'treatment' as the best first step solution for addiction, alcoholism and other self-destructive behaviors. They also offer educational, prevention and awareness programs that help reduce the stigma of addictive disorders. Their REEL Recovery Film Festivals provide Entertainment, Education and Inspiration to men and women suffering from addictive disorders, those in recovery or those on the cusp.
For more information: Leonard Buschel 818-762-0461.
Similar to Betty Ford's mission to bring addiction out of the closet thirty years ago, the Writers In Treatment collective works to bring recovery out of the closet today.