SOURCE: Cheapflights Canada
TORONTO--(Marketwire - Jul 10, 2012) - This Saturday, July 14th, lovers of all things French around the world will be celebrating Bastille Day. This holiday, which commemorates the Storming of the Bastille that sparked the French Revolution in 1789, is honoured worldwide with parades, performances, and of course, fireworks. The French know how to throw a good party so the editors at Cheapflights.ca, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, have spanned the globe and created a list of Top 10 Cities to Celebrate Bastille Day where you can relish in the French culture and spirit as they celebrate their National Day.
Paris, of course, makes our list. However, celebrations are taking place in French communities around the globe. See below for details on festivities in the five cities in North America to make our Top 10 Cities to Celebrate Bastille Day:
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - The City of Brotherly Love puts on quite a show annually to honour the French holiday, from street festivals to movie screenings to re-enactments of the Storming of the Bastille. The four-day festival is slightly eclipsed, though, by the city's year-round celebration of everything France, from its restaurants (Le Bec-Fin, Parc, Bibou) to its French-focused art (the Rodin Museum is the greatest collection of work outside of Paris).
- St.-Pierre and Miquelon, Canada (France) - These seemingly untouched islands are a colonial wonder across the Atlantic from their governing nation. France smartly held onto the cod- and lobster-stocked territory under the Treaty of Paris, creating a Francophile's dream near Canada's Grand Banks. Discover the islands during Bastille Day and revel in games, prizes and delicious food stalls. Or, consider staying the summer and attending the fantastic Basque Festival, where athletic competitions prevail, culminating in traditional evening balls.
- New Orleans, Louisiana - The most French of America's cities, New Orleans appropriately rolls out the carpet for a whole week leading up to Bastille Day each year. A French mass at St. Louis Cathedral starts the weeklong celebration, and the festivities continue with poetry readings, gala dinners and, on Bastille Day, a French poodle contest (bring the camera), a wreath-laying ceremony, block parties and food-and-wine events galore.
- Montreal, Quebec - For many Canadian and American Francophiles, Montreal is a taste of Paris without the cross-Atlantic flight. Since the French-speaking city was established before the French Revolution, many Montrealers focus their celebratory efforts toward Saint-Jean Baptiste Day in June. But on July 14 each year, the French Union graciously invites the French community to celebrate with delicious food, drink and live music, in a city that seeps all-things-French year-round.
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin - The French's fight for independence is proudly celebrated in cities across America, but perhaps most grandly in -- wait for it -- the Midwest. Milwaukee's Bastille Days is a four-day street festival centred on the city's Cathedral Square Park that starts with a Storm of the Bastille run and a massive replica of the Eiffel Tower. Parades, street performers, live concerts and Mardi Gras-themed festivities are on the line-up this year, offering folks in Wisconsin a miniature Paris in their own backyard.
If you're planning to be in Europe or Asia this upcoming weekend, you may want to check out the Bastille Day celebrations taking place in these other cities that made our list: Paris, France; Liège, Belgium; London, England; Budapest, Hungary; and Hanoi, Vietnam. To read further details on these celebrations and Cheapflights.ca's complete list of Top 10 Cities to Celebrate Bastille Day, visit http://www.cheapflights.ca/promos/top-10-cities-to-celebrate-bastille-day.
About Cheapflights Media
Cheapflights Media is an international media network helping over 11 million visitors a month find top travel deals. Our Cheapflights brand was launched in 1996 and pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users. Today, users compare a wide range of deals from hundreds of partners including online travel agents, consolidators and airlines to find the very best flight deals. With a mission to be the starting point for travel, Cheapflights works to deliver the industry's best airfare bargains, expert tips and inspiration. There are currently Cheapflights sites in the U.K., U.S., Canada, Germany, Australia & New Zealand, France, Italy and Spain. For more information, visit www.cheapflights.ca. Our newest brand, Momondo, is a leading travel search engine for finding comprehensive worldwide pricing and availability on airfares. Winner of several awards, the site is ideal for users on specific travel schedules. For more information, visit www.momondo.com.