MADRID, SPAIN--(Marketwired - Dec 14, 2016) - Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO)
- Telefonica invests in ASR 9000 and IOS XR for network running sensitive traffic, using Cisco hardware and software innovation to scale in meeting current and future demands
- ASR 9000 sets the stage for Telefonica to expand in new ways of cloud scale networking, such as automation, SDN/NFV, telemetry, analytics
- As a strategic business partner, Cisco is committed to delivering solutions that help make the network simpler, faster, smarter, better
Mission-critical traffic needs special treatment to ensure reliable high-quality delivery for the optimal customer experience. Telefonica, a multinational service provider serving millions of customers with a comprehensive offering and quality of connectivity, has been running such a network trusted by customers for carrying mobile and broadband support services.
To address the ever-changing traffic demands, Telefonica will be upgrading its network in Spain to a next-generation infrastructure with the ASR 9000 and IOS XR to handle such a dynamic environment. Using advanced Cisco Cloud Scale Networking technology of IOS XR, Telefonica can scale and capitalize on programmable networks for enabling simplicity and tighter control in delivering best-in-class services.
- Reducing Opex: The Cisco ASR 9000 Series running IOS XR was chosen by Telefonica for the carrier-class capabilities including proven reliability needed to carry critical traffic. Cisco IOS XR modular software operating system will also simplify the company's network operations.
- Boosting Network Simplicity and Resiliency: with network programmability via next-gen APIs such as NETCONF/YANG in IOS XR, the ASR 9000 provides Telefonica flexibility for current and future requirements, including tighter network control to deliver better end-customer experience. Cisco IOS XR enables seamless system redundancy and network resiliency.
- Mitigating Risk: Cisco Advanced Services helps reduce operational risk with a range of capabilities, including migration assistance for Telefonica to avoid service disruption.
- Ramping Up Agility: Cisco IOS XR & ASR 9000 is part of the foundation for Cisco Open Network Architecture, which will help Telefonica to get even more value out of the network through transformation, including automation, network abstraction, telemetry and analytics.
Cisco ASR 9000 is used worldwide as the foundation for delivering services such as 4G mobile Internet, business-class Ethernet, and residential video and broadband. With more integrated capabilities, such as DDoS protection with the Cisco/Arbor partnership and segment routing in IOS XR, Cisco offers new innovative ways to help networks get simpler, faster, smarter and more secure.
- Joaquín Mata, Network Technology and Operations director, Telefonica Spain: "We needed a business partner who could help solve our problems today but have the vision to look strategically ahead on new solutions that can drive our success forward."
- Woody Sessoms, senior vice president, Global Service Provider Sales at Cisco: "We are committed to helping our customers transform their networks and accelerate business outcomes. Telefonica is driving innovation rapidly, and we're pleased to be partnering with them on exciting new opportunities like these that can yield positive results."
- Bill Gartner, vice president and general manager, Service Provider Infrastructure at Cisco: "Mission-critical traffic requires cutting-edge innovation to deliver the best control reliably through programmability using Cisco cloud scale networking solutions."
Telefonica is one of the largest telecommunications companies in the world by market capitalization and number of customers with a comprehensive offering and quality of connectivity that is delivered over world class fixed, mobile and broadband networks. As a growing company it prides itself on providing a differential experience based both on its corporate values and a public position that defends customer interests.
The company has a significant presence in 21 countries and 349 million accesses around the world. Telefonica has a strong presence in Spain, Europe and Latin America, where the company focuses an important part of its growth strategy.
Telefonica is a 100% listed company, with more than 1.5 million direct shareholders. Its share capital currently comprises 4,900,571,209 ordinary shares traded on the Spanish Stock Market and on those in London, New York, Lima, and Buenos Aires.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide technology leader that has been making the Internet work since 1984. Our people, products and partners help society securely connect and seize tomorrow's digital opportunity today. Discover more at newsroom.cisco.com and follow us on Twitter at @Cisco.
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Cisco Systems and Cisco IOS are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds