OTTAWA, ONARIO--(Marketwired - Aug. 29, 2016) - Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) released its second quarter financial results today as well as supplemental data on the Corporation's Mortgage Loan Insurance, Securitization, and Covered Bonds business activities.
CMHC's mortgage loan insurance and securitization guarantee programs operate on a commercial basis without support from Canadian taxpayers. During the quarter, CMHC generated $338 million in net income from these activities.
- During the second quarter, CMHC facilitated access to mortgage financing by providing mortgage loan insurance for 134,891 units across the country, up 11.2% from the same period last year.
- At June 30, 2016, the size of CMHC's mortgage insurance business was $523 billion in total insurance-in-force, a $3 billion decrease from year-end 2015. This is still well below CMHC's legislated insurance-in-force limit of $600 billion.
- The average insured loan amount for transactional homeowner mortgages for the six months ended June 30, 2016 remained stable at $237,628, up 0.5% from the same period in 2015.
- Homebuyers with CMHC-insured mortgages have a strong ability to manage their debts as supported by an average credit score of 750 for transactional homeowner loans and an average gross debt service (GDS) ratio of 25.4% for the three-months ended June 30, 2016.
- The strength of CMHC's portfolio is reflected in the overall arrears rate which, as at June 30, 2016, stood at 0.32%, down from 0.34% at March 31, 2016. Total number of loans in arrears was 8,386 as at June 30, 2016.
- New securities guaranteed for the second quarter totalled $27.4 billion, comprised of $16.6 billion for market NHA MBS and $10.8 billion for CMB.
Consistent with our mandate, CMHC is present in all markets and through all economic cycles.
CMHC also works closely with provinces, territories and housing providers, including First Nations, to help low-income Canadians access affordable, better quality housing. For the three-month period ended June 30, 2016, CMHC provided more than $463 million for housing programs on behalf of the Government of Canada.
A copy of the Quarterly Financial Report and the supporting business supplements are available on the CMHC website.
This release includes video.
CMHC's Mortgage Loan Insurance, Securitization and Covered Bond business supplements offer additional data on CMHC's commercial activities to help readers better understand our business. CMHC has been Canada's national housing agency for 70 years.
CMHC helps Canadians meet their housing needs. As Canada's authority on housing, we contribute to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provide support for Canadians in housing need, and offer objective housing research and information to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of our operations.
"Spring 2016 was another steady quarter for CMHC. Our net income is stable, insured volumes are up and the overall arrears rate remains low. That said, we continue to monitor housing markets closely due to weaker economic conditions in parts of the country."
- Brian Naish, Chief Financial Officer, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
For more information, visit our website or follow us on Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and Facebook.