SAANICH, BRITISH COLUMBIA--(Marketwired - Dec. 16, 2013) - Western Economic Diversification Canada
The Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification, was in Saanich today to announce support for three projects benefitting Southern Vancouver Island and Pender Island under the Harper Government's Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund (CIIF).
In Economic Action Plan 2012, the Harper Government announced further support to help communities across the country modernize their infrastructure. Our Government committed $150 million over two years for the Fund.
The Fund supports projects that improve existing community infrastructure accessible for use by the public, such as community centres, recreational buildings, local arenas, cultural and other community facilities.
- Three projects in Southern Vancouver Island and on Pender Island received more than $184,000 through the Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund (CIIF).
- The projects include upgrades to the Pender Island Public Library on Pender Island, upgrades to Majestic Park in Saanich and renovations to the Martelli House at the Swan Lake Christmas Hill Nature Sanctuary in Saanich.
"Our Government is pleased today to announce its support for so many excellent projects on Southern Vancouver Island and Pender Island. Families and communities will benefit from these projects, which will also boost economic activity, as well as leave a lasting legacy of modernized community facilities for future generations."
- Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification
"Part of Swan Lake's mission is to educate children and this was enhanced when Saanich Council included the Martelli house in their Management Agreement. Western Economic Diversification Canada's funding through the Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund, under the leadership of the Honourable Michelle Rempel, has made it possible for us to renovate the Martelli house, thereby providing us the opportunity to increase our building footprint for future programming purposes."
- Erik Lund, Chair, Swan Lake Christmas Hill Nature Sanctuary Society
- Backgrounder: http://www.wd.gc.ca/eng/15044.asp
Subscribe to news releases and keep up-to-date on the latest from WD. Follow us on Twitter at @WD_Canada.
The West Means Business.
IF THERE IS A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN ANY PRINTED VERSION AND THE ELECTRONIC VERSION OF THIS NEWS RELEASE, THE ELECTRONIC VERSION WILL PREVAIL.