SOURCE: Con Edison Co. of NY, Inc.

May 20, 2010 15:51 ET

Con Edison Heroes Aid Man Struck by a Bus

NEW YORK, NY--(Marketwire - May 20, 2010) -  Imagine a 41,000-pound hulk of rolling steel suddenly barreling toward you as you're walking to work on a sunny day.

That's exactly what happened to19-year-old John DiSalvo recently as he attempted to cross a street. He was strolling to his car dealership job near a Con Edison facility at 42nd Street, just west of the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

"The next thing you know we saw this guy get hit by a huge bus," said Harold Pryor, a substation mechanic, reliving the day along with his co-worker John Russo.

"It was very scary," said Russo, a resident of Tottenville, Staten Island.

The young man was struck on a street at the mouth of the Lincoln Tunnel, where 8-foot wide buses dart in and out of the bus terminal, the world's biggest and busiest, hosting 2.5 million buses a year.

"He went down hard, and quickly jumped back up -- sort of a like a reflex action. He looked a little incoherent to me," Pryor recalled. The partners rushed to the man's aid.

"His jeans were torn at the left knee where he was struck and clearly he suffered a bad flesh injury and heavy bruising to his face," Pryor said. They carefully sat DiSalvo on a sidewalk curb to prevent further injury to the damaged leg. Russo and Pryor credited their first aid and cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) training as second nature.

By now the normally hectic area near the bus terminal became even more hectic as Port Authority Police, NYPD and crews from the FDNY joined the Con Edison men.

"We just tried really hard to calm him down, but all he was concerned about was his missing cell phone and getting to work," said Pryor, a 20-year Con Edison veteran who lives in Carnarsie, Brooklyn. "If John and I didn't stop him until medical help arrived, he would have tried to walk to work."

Before DiSalvo was whisked away by ambulance, his co-workers swarmed the Con Edison men with appreciation. 

"He was grateful we were there," said Russo, who has been with Con Edison for nearly five years. "We just wanted to help out the best way we could."

Staff from DiSalvo's employer recently thanked Pryor and Russo personally for their heroic efforts.

"Meeting these two guys face-to-face was very special," DiSalvo said of the reunion. "I'm glad they were there for me and willing to jump in and help."

Contact Information

  • Contact:
    D. Joy Faber