MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA--(Marketwire - Dec 13, 2011) - Couchbase, Inc., the leading NoSQL database company, wraps up a phenomenal year punctuated by significant customer, product and company milestones. Couchbase's success in 2011 has been fueled by:
- The overall growth in the NoSQL technology market. Uptake of NoSQL technology is increasing dramatically, across many industries, as companies seek a more flexible, high-performance, scalable, and cost-effective approach to data management than traditional relational databases provide.
- The transition from NoSQL experimentation to production deployment. As users exit the experimentation phase and begin to deploy in production behind mission-critical applications, they are increasingly focusing on reliability, maturity and production-readiness. Couchbase's simple, fast, and elastic NoSQL solution has proven it can meet the stringent reliability demands of companies requiring 24x7x365 availability.
"In less than 12 months Couchbase has emerged as the NoSQL market leader," said Bob Wiederhold, Couchbase CEO. "Couchbase is consistently the choice for mission-critical, revenue-generating systems where data safety, uptime, and performance consistency are paramount."
2011 COUCHBASE HIGHLIGHTS
- In addition to thousands of open-source production deployments, Couchbase exceeded 150 commercial deployments worldwide across numerous industries including:
- Social gaming: Zynga, Pokemon, Quepasa, Antic Entertainment, Gamegos, Meteor Games, Nexon, Playtika, Scoreloop, Shuffle Master, Sojo Studios, Tribal Crossing, VNG, Vostu
- Advertising: AOL, MediaMind, BurstaBit, Chango, Cognitive Match, Dotomi, Nami Media, TubeMogul, Xclaim
- Communications: NTT Docomo, Orange France Telecom, Vodafone, Cisco, ITT, Korea Telecom
- Business services: Salesforce.com, Thomson Reuters, ADP, Concur, Deutsche Post DHL, LG CNS, Navteq
- E-commerce: Starbucks, Skechers, Ganz, Kobo, Skyscanner, The Knot
- Social networking: SmugMug, Vimeo, mig33Spotme, Tango, The Ladders, Tunewiki, Umami TV
- Automotive: American Honda, BMW, Manheim
"We selected Couchbase after evaluating several open source products to power our next-generation backend ad serving platform. Couchbase has the only product in the market place that met our stringent performance requirements and was dynamically scaled to meet our future growth projections without service interruption. We have been very pleased with the maturity of the product and the responsiveness of the support team at Couchbase." - AOL Advertising
"Next-generation mobile applications and associated cloud-based services need the performance, scalability, and schemaless flexibility of NoSQL databases. Couchbase stands out among NoSQL players as the best NoSQL database technology, and the only solution that extends from the datacenter to mobile devices. Couchbase's unique mobile-to-cloud data synchronization is particularly impressive." - Dr. Minoru Etoh, Managing Director of Service & Solution Development Department, NTT DOCOMO, Inc.
- In February, Membase and CouchOne merged to form Couchbase, combining the teams of two leading NoSQL database innovators and assembling a critical mass of database and distributed systems expertise.
- In July, Couchbase closed a Series C round of financing, with $15 million in investments from existing and new investors Accel Partners, Ignition Partners, Mayfield Fund and North Bridge Venture Partners, bringing the company's total funding to $30 million to date.
- Couchbase announced Couchbase Server 2.0, now shipping in developer preview 3, which extends the performance and dynamic elasticity of Membase Server with the storage, indexing and synchronization innovations pioneered in the Apache CouchDB project.
- Announced and shipped Couchbase mobile technology, providing mobile-to-cloud synchronization -- supporting both native iOS and Android application development.
- Couchbase unveiled and released to the public domain the UnQL query language, (UNstructured Query Language). Jointly developed with Microsoft and SQLite, UnQL is designed to provide a common query language for NoSQL developers and help drive widespread adoption of NoSQL technology. Each company has committed to delivering product support for UnQL in 2012.
"It's an exciting time to be in the database industry and participate in a technology shift that is disrupting the data management status quo of the past 40 years. Couchbase's amazing growth and success in 2011 has established our position as the industry leader in the NoSQL database market. We are honored by the confidence our customers place in our technology and our company, and are committed to delivering the technology and support our customers need to take their application of NoSQL to the next level." - James Phillips, Co-Founder and SVP Products, Couchbase
- Couchbase held its inaugural CouchConf developer conference in July, more than 300 developers gathered in San Francisco to learn and share how to harness Couchbase technology for web and mobile applications. With the great success of the inaugural event, Couchbase launched a CouchConf World Tour to support its worldwide community, with stops in Berlin, Chicago, New York, Bangalore, Tel Aviv and Tokyo and more venues planned for 2012.
- Couchbase received industry recognition and was named as a Gartner Cool Vendor in Infrastructure Management; was named to the GigaOM Structure 50 list, a list of leading innovators in cloud computing and infrastructure selected by GigaOM editors; and was selected for VentureWire's FASTech 50 list of most innovative technology start-ups.
- Read Bob Wiederhold's end-of-year blog for more in-depth commentary on Couchbase's success in 2011 and what lies ahead in 2012
- Download Couchbase NoSQL database technology
- Follow @Couchbase on Twitter
Couchbase is the NoSQL database market share leader, with production deployments at AOL, Apple, BBC, Deutsche Post, NTT Docomo, Salesforce.com, Turner Broadcasting Systems, Vimeo, Zynga and hundreds of other organizations worldwide. Couchbase products enable a more flexible, scalable, high-performance, and cost-effective approach to data management than relational database solutions and are particularly well suited for web applications deployed on virtualized or cloud infrastructures, and mobile applications requiring real-time data synchronization between devices and the cloud. Couchbase is a privately held company funded by Accel Partners, Ignition Partners, Mayfield Fund and North Bridge Venture Partners. www.couchbase.com