Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency

April 07, 2009 15:09 ET

CRA: Interesting Tax Information!

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - April 7, 2009) - The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) administers programs and provides services on behalf of other organizations at the federal, provincial, and territorial levels. The CRA promises to be a responsive service provider that applies its unparalleled knowledge and capacity to safeguard, administer, and streamline tax and benefit programs for governments across Canada, their agencies, and Canadians.

Yes! That time of year has come and you have to file an income tax and benefit return since you have to pay taxes for 2008, have withdrawn funds from your registered retirement savings plan (RRSP), want to claim a refund, or want to carry forward unused tuition, education, and textbook amounts, or more. You have until April 30, 2009, to file your return. If you or your spouse or common-law partner is a self-employed individual, you have until June 15, 2009, to file your return, but any balance owing needs to be paid by April 30, 2009. You can file your income tax return on the Internet using NETFILE, or by telephone with TELEFILE-you will get it processed faster and if you are entitled to a refund, you will receive it earlier.

Electronic services-Quick. Easy. Secure.

The CRA offers numerous quick, easy, and secure electronic services for individuals such as My Account and Quick Access. Go to to access and manage personal tax and benefit information such as:

- track your tax refund;

- view and change your return;

- view your RRSP information;

- view and apply for the Canada Child Tax Benefit;

- view and apply for the Universal Child Care Benefit;

- set up direct deposit;

- change your address; and

- much more.

If you are not registered for My Account, Quick Access offers a secure and immediate way to access limited tax and benefit information online. Go to to view your following information:

- tax return status;

- RRSP deduction limit;

- Canada Child Tax Benefit payment status;

- goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax credit payment status; and

- Universal Child Care Benefit payment status.

Help completing your return

If you need help with your taxes, you can find a Community Volunteer Income Tax Program clinic near you by calling the CRA Individuals Income Tax Enquiries line at 1-800-959-8281, or by going to If you qualify for the program and have a simple tax situation, a trained volunteer will help you complete your income tax and benefit return for 2008.

Have a complaint about service?

The CRA - Service Complaints program is a formalized complaints resolution process that strengthens our ability to respond to service-related problems across the organization. It also supports the service rights outlined in the Taxpayer Bill of Rights.

If you are not satisfied with the service that you have received, and you have not been able to resolve it by talking to us, you have the right to make a formal complaint using Form RC193, Service-Related Complaint, about:

- undue delays;

- poor or misleading information;

- staff behaviour; and

- mistakes, which could refer to misunderstandings, omissions, or

The CRA will review your complaint, and will aim to resolve it in a fair and timely manner. If you remain dissatisfied with the review of your complaint, you can contact the Taxpayers' Ombudsman who will provide a final impartial review. For more information or to get Form RC193, go to

More information

For more tax-related information for individuals, go to

Contact Information

  • Canada Revenue Agency
    Caitlin Workman
    Media Relations