GRAND FALLS-WINDSOR, NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR--(Marketwired - April 30, 2013) - CUPE members from across Newfoundland and Labrador will gather in Grand Falls-Windsor starting this weekend for their annual convention which runs from May 5 to May 8 at the Mount Peyton Hotel.
President Wayne Lucas says they'll also be celebrating their national union's 50th anniversary.
Lucas says, "Delegates will debate a variety of resolutions ranging from the regressive cuts in the provincial budget, the current assault on public sector pensions here in NL and across the country, and the Harper Government's radical reforms to EI."
Highlights of the convention include:
- Lana Payne, President of the NL Federation of Labour, May 6, 9:45 am
- CUPE National President Paul Moist, May 6, 2:00 pm
- CUPE National Secretary Treasurer, Charles Fleury, May 6, 2:45 pm
- Provincial NDP leader Lorraine Michael, May 7, 9:00 am
- International Guest Speaker, Margarita Lopez from the Colombia Water Workers' Union, May 7, 2:00 pm
Lucas says he expects three days of robust and informative debate with elections to be held on Wednesday morning.
(ATTENTION ASSIGNMENT EDITORS: There will also be a lunch hour demonstration on the Harper Government's cuts to EI on Monday, May 6.)