MENLO PARK, CA--(Marketwired - Aug 29, 2014) - Curious.com, Inc., the marketplace for lifelong learning, today announced its first vertical-specific app, Curious Crafts. Designed for Curious' craftiest learners, this customized app provides the perfect solution for anyone looking for the best way to learn skills such as how to knit, weave, crochet, bead, sew, scrapbook, begin woodworking, jewelry making or flower arranging. It's also a great resource for practical projects like making a duct tape wallet or whipping up some homemade soap.
The company also released a comprehensive new design for Curious.com. The site now features more than 10,000 interactive, video-based lessons and courses in 8 categories, including:
- Brainy: Academic training, from game theory to calculus
- Tech & Biz: Coding, software and marketing skills are no longer optional
- Crafts: Have fun creating beautiful and practical homemade things
- Music & Arts: Express yourself with dance, art, drama, photo & music
- DIY: Whether it's your home, garden, bike or car... do it yourself
- Language: It's not too late to learn a new language, or dust one off
- Healthy & Fit: Improve your health, fitness, lifestyle and sportiness
- Food: Eat, drink, cook, mix and entertain
"I'm thrilled how quickly the Curious community of teachers has reached the 10,000 lesson mark, and it's the perfect time to introduce our first eight categories to assist the world's learners in finding what they are passionate about," said Curious.com CEO and founder, Justin Kitch. "Crafting is an excellent example of offering a deep learning experience in a specific category. Crafters learning new skills on Curious represent hands-on learning at its finest, and we're eager to see what amazing things people learn and produce with our new crafting app."
Learners can choose from thousands of video-based lessons on a variety of topics including crocheting, sewing, scrapbooking, origami, upcycling, card making and woodworking. Perfect for both newbies and experienced crafters, the iOS app is built on the Curious learning platform, with all lessons broken into "bite-size" segments that offer interactive, step-by-step instruction.
Learners can get feedback from the teacher and their fellow crafters on lesson-specific discussion boards. Plus they can share their amazing creations with friends and teachers by submitting their projects to the Assignment Gallery.
Examples of popular lessons and courses include:
- Mimi G Style's "Sew a Custom Skirt": Making your own clothes isn't as difficult as it sounds. Follow along as Mimi G -- fashion designer and style blogger -- shows you how to put together a cute DIY skirt from start to finish.
- Moogly's "Popular Crochet Stitches & Patterns": In this beginner to intermediate course, learn how to turn chains and single crochets into more complex stitches and patterns. Finally, apply your newfound knowledge to make beautiful patterns for blankets, scarfs or anything in between.
- Beadshop.com's "How to Make a Bollywood Bracelet": Once you master a few easy knots, you will be whipping out these bracelets. All you need is Chinese knotting cord, metallic seed beads, thread snips and a thread burner. Make these fast bracelets in multiple colors for stylish stacking!
- Crafty Gemini "DIY Projects for the Home": From making your own soap to creating reusable sandwich bags, this course teaches you how to make fun and handy projects around the home. You should know how to use a sewing machine and understand basic sewing techniques before taking this course.
- Yarn Obsession's "Selling Crochet for Profit": Turn your crafting skills into a profitable business! This 12-lesson course teaches you how to make money selling your creations, from the nuts and bolts of creating a business plan to inventory planning and pricing. You'll even get tips for growing your business using social media and Google AdWords.
Founded on the belief that learning should happen for its own sake, beyond the classroom and including non-academic subjects, Curious.com offers a brand of lifelong learning that resonates with students and teachers alike. Curious.com empowers its legion of more than a thousand talented teachers to share their knowledge with eager learners and enhance the quality of instructional content online by providing a range of free, easy-to-use tools that enable teachers to market, share and monetize their lessons.
Lifelong learners and teachers can find the new Curious Crafts app in the Apple App Store, or visit www.curious.com.
Founded in 2012, Curious.com, Inc. offers an innovative and engaging marketplace that connects lifelong learners with exceptional teachers around the world. Curious is home to short-format video-based, interactive lessons that help anyone learn about anything on their own time. It also provides a range of free, easy-to-use tools for teachers that enable them to market, share and monetize their lessons to millions of learners. Curious is a private company funded by Redpoint Ventures, GSV Capital, Bill Campbell, Jesse Rogers and Justin Kitch based in Menlo Park, CA. For more information visit www.curious.com.