SOURCE: DataDirect Networks
CHATSWORTH, CA--(Marketwire - Aug 9, 2012) - DataDirect Networks (DDN), the leader in massively scalable storage, today announced the broad adoption of DDN technology within Australia's Super Science Initiative and the selection of its massively scalable parallel file storage technology by many of the Initiative's largest organizations.
Recent high-scale deployments include sales to the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, the Australian National University, the University of Western Australia and the Victorian Life Sciences Computation Initiative (VLSCI). This year alone more than 20 petabytes of high-performance, high-efficiency DDN SFA™ storage have been purchased by these internationally renowned research institutions as the region makes significant investments into its data-intensive computing infrastructure.
"As we enter an era marked by new technologies that enable researchers and data scientists to extract value from massive amounts of information, the work our customers do promises to change the way society lives and works," said Justin Glen, DDN Director of Sales for Australia and New Zealand. "With more than a decade of experience in resolving challenges at massive scale, DDN is happy to play a central role in Australia's success as a center of Big Data-driven innovation."
Customers that have recently purchased DDN data-intensive storage include:
- In partnership with IBM, The Victorian Life Sciences Computation Initiative (VLSCI) at the University of Melbourne, currently home to the fastest computer in the southern hemisphere, which investigates genomics, biology, and other life sciences to improve diagnostics, find new drug targets, refine treatments and further understanding of major diseases.
- The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), Australia's national science agency and one of the largest and most diverse research agencies in the world. CSIRO facilitates research in the areas of climate change, energy, environment, mineral resources, and other scientific disciplines.
"CSIRO uses DDN for large-scale storage of scientific data sets," said David Toll, Chief Information Officer of CSIRO. "The performance and density of DDN's storage has allowed our scientists to do things that were not possible before."
- In partnership with SGI, The University of Western Australia (UWA), which supports Big Data research in disciplines including geoscience, nanoscience and radio astronomy.
- The National Computational Infrastructure (NCI) hosted at Australian National University (ANU) is deploying DDN storage to power their new Fujitsu Petaflop system. When deployed, the DDN storage subsystem will have a capacity of over 12 petabytes and will be capable of achieving over 120GB/sec of bandwidth through its file system to power one of the world's fastest supercomputers.
"NCI will be using DDN storage to provide Australian researchers with world-class high-end computing services," said Professor Lindsay Botten, Director of the National Computational Infrastructure at ANU.
- In partnership with IBM, DDN has also recently deployed a large system at the Australian Bureau of Meteorology to support the bureau's work in developing and delivering regular forecasts and warnings that covers the Australian region and Antarctic territory.
For more information about DDN, please visit www.ddn.com
About DataDirect Networks
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is the world leader in massively scalable storage. We are the leading provider of data storage and processing solutions and professional services that enable content-rich and high growth IT environments to achieve the highest levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN enables enterprises to extract value and deliver results from their information. Our customers include the world's leading online content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and grid computing, life sciences, media production organizations and security & intelligence organizations.
Deployed in thousands of mission critical environments worldwide, DDN's solutions have been designed, engineered and proven in the world's most scalable data centers to ensure competitive business advantage for today's information powered enterprise.
For more information, go to www.ddn.com or call +1-800-TERABYTE (837-2298).
DDN and SFA are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. All rights reserved.